Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon G7 broken zoom lever, warranty issue with eBay seller

by sphinx_malinx / September 22, 2007 5:06 PM PDT

I would like to ask if anybody has had problems with G7?s zoom lever.
Mine broke after 4 months of light and METICULOUSLY CAREFUL use, and the warranty supplier (store-based warranty, not Canon?s) refuses to honour my claim because the repair centre which examined the camera can?t identify the cause of this damage. I KNOW I did not cause it, and it?s difficult to accept that a camera built to a standard would break down on its own accord. I have read on one forum that other people have had the same problem with their G7 zoom lever, identical to mine in every way, also about 4 months after the purchase. I am hoping to find enough evidence of this problem occurring to prove that the manufacturer has been responsible. The seller ? DigitalRev ? has a reputation for being incredibly unsupportive in accepting warranty claims, and it is very unfair that I should have to pay for the repairs if they've sold me a faulty product.
Thank you for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon G7 broken zoom lever, warranty issue with eBay seller
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon G7 broken zoom lever, warranty issue with eBay seller
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Broken G7 lever....
by Papa Echo / September 22, 2007 6:26 PM PDT

I do not have a G7, but how was it broken ? The "ring" came off in two pieces, or the "tip", i.e. where you place your forefinger to move the lever) came off ? Can it be repaired DIY with super-glue ?

It is esay to say that you are being very carefull, but it is very easy for the lever to get knocked without you knowing or realizing it, but then, the camera should be able to withstand that. There should be a warranty offered by Canon, and most store based warranties are pretty useless. They say that they cannot find what caused the damage ? Then tell them - it's metal, or "material" fatique. This type of damage is "hidden"; so, of course, they don't know, which is also a standard excuse.

Collapse -
..how the zoom lever is broken...
by sphinx_malinx / September 23, 2007 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Broken G7 lever....

what happened is this:
the zoom lever has become loose. I hadn't applied any excessive pressure to it or force to it in any way, but while using it to navigate through the photo browser (which is one of its functions) it suddenly made a slight ?click? sound and felt very loose (as if a spring or a coil inside it broke). Subsequently the camera only zooms in/out to its maximum capacity, while normally it should pause between the zooms.

Collapse -
That...
by Papa Echo / September 23, 2007 7:34 PM PDT

...problem is "internal" of the camera, and to me, a clear sign of product/workmanship defect. Have you tried Canon ? Tell them of the situation you are in, what happened, and of DigitalRev's/e-Bay's refusal to honor its warranty. They may repair it for you free - to protect their image, as that seems to be a fairly common defect. They may even thank you for your feedback, as this gives them a chance to correct the defect for their next batch of G7 and other models.

Collapse -
Canon G7 zoom lever
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

I found one instance of someone reporting that the
"spring in the zoom lever snapped out".

Since you have reported it here on a CNet forum, others will find your complaint when they do a Google search.
(Google tracks CNet forums).

They will likely add their complaint too.
Just check back occasionally.

That happened on the Canon A610 CCD sensor problem.
It is now a lengthy thread.

You should contact Canon Support and see if they are aware of such a problem.
See if they will fix it for free, under their 1 year warranty.

Collapse -
Canon G7 zoom lever
by sphinx_malinx / September 23, 2007 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon G7 zoom lever

thanks for your help. the whole problem in this case is the iffy warranty issue - the people who had the same problem had it fixed promptly under the Canon-proprietary warranty with no questions asked. but as I bought mine on eBay the only warranty I have is store-based (lesson learnt). I've heard that Canon can be quite forgiving with their policy and has in the past fixed cameras without an official warranty, but I suspect that for this to happen I'd need enough proof that this zoom-lever defect is a fairly wide-spread problem. The repair centre which examined the camera refuses to issue a 'manufacture defect' statement unless they have evidence of that, in case they might be challenged.

Collapse -
Canon accepted one of my cameras for repair even though
by Kiddpeat / September 24, 2007 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon G7 zoom lever

the warrantee was not valid (International). However, they did so based on the bill of sale which was issued by an authorized Canon dealer. Since you bought it on eBay, my guess is that you will have to pay for repairs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?