General discussion

Canon g 11 or nikon d3100

After all my research i decided to buy nikon d3001 .. Meanwhile one of my friends told me that he is selling out his canon g10 .. 3,4 months used ..
That i would get for 30000 ( new is i think 55000 round abt )
However nikon d3100 is 50000 round abut .. Now i am confuse whether i should go for canon g11 or nikon

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Canon g 11 or nikon d3100
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Canon g 11 or nikon d3100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you're serious about photography and control

Then it's an easy decision, D3100 > G10. Also the the G10 is two generations old, but there's nothing wrong with it. I had a G series camera for years(actually still do but it collects dust) and it was a terrific camera, until I wanted to do more creative shots, have more control in the outcome of the photo, was willing to lug around a large DSLR to most places, willing to put in the time and effort into photography, and understood the cost of future purchases of lenses and accessories. The original kit is just the beginning in the overall cost of getting into photography as a hobby.

- Collapse -
Both are fine

So what are you saying is that both are good . D3100 is newer and next step .. Right ?
P

- Collapse -
No

Being newer has nothing to do with why kalel33 recommends the D3100 over the G11. The reason is because it is a DSLR vs. a premium compact. The D3100 has a massive imaging sensor compared to the G11; that alone will increase the quality of photos. The D3100 is also a part of a camera system. When you buy a DSLR, you must consider the body as but part of a system. With the G cameras, the lens is built in; there's nowhere to turn if you find the optics aren't wide or long or bright enough. The D3100 is also going to perform much faster; that is critical in applications such as sports.

CNET Forums

Forum Info