Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon FS200 vs Sony DCR-SX33 vs Sony DCR-SX53

by skyfl4me / May 10, 2010 7:28 PM PDT

Hi,
I'm planning to buy a camcorder and currently my choice is between Canon FS200, Sony DCR-SX33 and Sony DCR-SX53. I will use the camcorder mostly for leisure, holiday, and music (singing, dance, performance).

The two Sony's seems similar as far as I can see, both can also use SD card. The difference that I've noticed is that sx33 has no harddisk and can't record at 16:9 size (unless I'm mistaken?), while sx53 has 16Gb harddisk. Canon can play at 16:9, but has smaller optical zoom than Sony and the file type is not a common one (can't be use to put it on cd)? It's also older edition than the Sonys

Which one of the three is better? I would like to have one that has good video(picture) and sound quality, also under low lighting condition. And it would be nice if I can capture people or things that stand far for me.

Is the small zoom of FS200 a disadvantage to record the things that I want? What's the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 screen (does it matter much)? Which one is more user-friendly?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon FS200 vs Sony DCR-SX33 vs Sony DCR-SX53
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon FS200 vs Sony DCR-SX33 vs Sony DCR-SX53
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
canon fs200
by chickenorfish / May 11, 2010 1:23 AM PDT

id go with the canon for the better low light performance. the zoom is a bit shorter, but it wont be that noticeable. id be shocked if any of those cams cant shoot in 16:9, i think you misread the specs

the advantage the sony has is that it shoots directly into a editable format like you said. the process of converting the canon files is simple, but some people do still have trouble with it

it also may make a difference if you have a mac

Collapse -
Converting file and battery life ?
by skyfl4me / May 11, 2010 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: canon fs200

Thanks for your answer. I don't have a mac, so Sony shouldn't be a problem.
For Canon, how long would it normally take to convert a file, and do you need a specific tool / software?

I forgot to ask about the battery, do the batteries of both brands have the same quality, and is the battery life equal (for recording in at least SP mode, not LP)? Because some people say that the battery for FS200 can work longer than average camcorders, but some says that it doesn't have that long duration too, so I'm a bit confused.

Collapse -
Life.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 2:08 AM PDT

Most NiMH batteries in most consumer products are your 300 cycle models. So Life = 300 cycles times the number of minutes per charge.

Hope this simplifies this enough for most of us.
Bob

Collapse -
sdcopy
by chickenorfish / May 11, 2010 2:58 AM PDT

in this thread theres a link to a program called sdcopy, its very easy to use and free. it doesnt convert the files, it just changes the file type and ads in the viewing ratio. takes literally 10 seconds

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7594_102-0.html?threadID=145687

from reviews ive seen, the canon stock battery lasts longer then the sony stock battery. however, the sony can be upgraded to a longer lasting battery, i dont think the canon can

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!