HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon EOS release dates? Digic III me!

by Update_3 / March 19, 2007 12:18 AM PDT

OK, so PMA has been and gone. New cameras out from Canon using the new Digic III processor in the EOS range look great, but too exxy for my budget.
Does anyone know when Canon is rumoured to/ plans to release EOS cameras 'for the rest of us' with Digic III on board?
I'm just about to part with some hard-earned $$$ to get a new SLR to update my almost 20 year old EOS 650 (still works!!), so looking to get the best I can with my dosh. However, the D1 could spell D-I-V-O-R-C-E.... (I exagerate far far far (far) too much)
I was looking at the EOS400D/ Digital Rebel, but I hate the buyer's remorse you get when you buy a new doo-dad only to discover here was a brand new bright shiny better model just around the corner.
Anyone know when new canon EOS models get announced?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon EOS release dates? Digic III me!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon EOS release dates? Digic III me!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a rumor
by jump1127 / March 19, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

I heard that new Canon EOS 40D, possibly equipped with DIGIC III, will release this fall or so if you are willing to wait.

So far Canon EOS 5D, recently dropped sales price, keeps me happy although some slight problems with the dust eventually irritate me. Actually, either Canon 30D or 400D serves the general shooting regardless of edging problem. 30D is the better built camera. Full frame camera ( FOV = 1 ) also comes with a trade-off. Shooting below F-5 for full-frame show some edging problem using average quality lenses. Make a good choice and good luck.

Collapse -
Canon 40D
by hjfok / March 19, 2007 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a rumor

It will certainly be worthwhile to wait until the 40D comes out before you break your piggy bank to buy the D-SLR. Even if the new upgrades do not make your tail wag with excitement, at least you can pick up a great deal on the 30D by that time.

There are a lot of rumors about what the 40D will be like, most say 10.1 MP, anti-dust mechanism, new processing engine ...
I have the 30D and am very happy with its performance. An upgrade from 8 to 10 MP is not going to be really significant or perceptible, as we can see from the Rebel XT upgrade to the XTi. It will be interesting to see what kind of upgrade when it comes out. Hopefully there is some more exciting upgrade than that from the 20D to 30D. But my guess is that I will probably pass this round of upgrade, maybe I will wait for the 50D or 60D.

Collapse -
All's well that ends....?
by Update_3 / March 20, 2007 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon 40D

Thanks for the thoughtful advice - looking at the release cycle for the 350D and the 400D I agree that it looks like we may have to wait til the fall for a Digic III processor for the consumer/ prosumer market.
I went to the local camera shops y/day and did the best deal I could for a 400D plus a great foundation lens, the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS. It rocks, and comparing the new dSLR to my old EOS 650 its amazing to see the similarities. I have had no probs getting used to the new machine as the controls are very familiar.
Once again, thanks for your help - much appreciated!

Collapse -
Congratulations!
by hjfok / March 20, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

I have the same lens, it's awesome! I'm sure you'll love it on you new D-SLR. One thing is that the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS tends to attract dust easily, but it doesn't affect the great images a bit, even after taking it to numerous places and shooting thousands of photos with it. It takes beautiful night light photos, even when handheld. Enjoy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.