Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon EOS Rebel XT

by amcdan2000_1 / September 13, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

I just got this camera. I need to know a copuple of things. What flash setting does it need to be on for motion. Football lights are present, some sun left. I'm not trying to take from far away, but some of the people in the photo are clear and some are blurry. Can you help me?

Also I need to get the lens that is longer than the 18-55 that it comes with. What would that be. I mostly would like it for action shots. I know I need a new flash also. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon EOS Rebel XT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon EOS Rebel XT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For analysis, ...
by Papa Echo / September 13, 2007 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon EOS Rebel XT

...try posting that photo. HERE. Just browse to your saved photo and post the link provided to you.

Collapse -
There is no flash setting for action.
by Kiddpeat / September 13, 2007 8:30 AM PDT

A flash is very fast, and will freeze action if the subject is close enough. The key is the shutter speed. You need a fast shutter speed to freeze action.

Long lenses (for distant subjects) are not usually used with flash. The reason is that the flash cannot illuminate distant subjects. You need to look at your flash's specifications to see how far it will reach.

Collapse -
look to the lens, not the flash
by fionndruinne / September 13, 2007 2:14 PM PDT

To get truly good action photos, the lens is your best tool; flash will just not do in nine out of ten situations. What you need is a "fast" telephoto lens, that is large-aperture. Unfortunately, these lenses are big, heavy and expensive. But the enhanced light-grabbing abilities of a fast lens will allow for much faster shutter speeds, allowing you to capture the action. Plus with greater depth-of-field, resulting in blurry backgrounds which isolate your subject, visual quality of the photo will be better.

I'm not well-versed in Canon's fast telephoto lineup - what I do know is they tend to be expensive. Sigma makes a good 50-150mm (that's up to three times the long-zoom-end of your current lens) f/2.8 (that's the minimum for low-light action photography - and happens to be the maximum aperture for almost every zoom lens). This lens is quite a bit lighter/smaller than the 70-200mm f/2.8, the standard for this kind of shooting, and costs much less, at $600 (ouch!).

Collapse -
Action lens
by hjfok / September 14, 2007 2:12 PM PDT

You can consider the Canon EF 100mm f/2 and if you need something longer then it will get expensive, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. Sigma has a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens which is good but lacks IS and you will need to use a tripod or find some bench or surface to stablize your hand and camera.

You will need a better wide aperture lens more than a flash. Here are a few night action shots I shot with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens handheld without flash:

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/hjfok/Photos%207-2007/?action=view&current=NightAction-ShamuSurfing1.jpg

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/hjfok/Photos%207-2007/?action=view&current=NightAction-DynamicDuo2.jpg

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/hjfok/Photos%207-2007/?action=view&current=NightAction-ShamuBreakdancing.jpg

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!