Cameras forum

General discussion

CANON CAMERA DECISION HELP

by RetiredNavy02 / July 17, 2007 2:37 AM PDT

I am looking to replace our Sony P52 digital camera with a new camera. Looking through reviews I narrowed my choices down to several Canon cameras:

Canon A710IS
Canon A570IS
Canon SD750
Canon SD1000

The primary use of the camera is for family pictures and for vacations. I am looking for a good all-around digital that performs well. I appreciate all inputs and thanks in advance!

Regards,
Tom in CT
U.S. Navy Submarine Force CPO (retired)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CANON CAMERA DECISION HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CANON CAMERA DECISION HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 7:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
CANON
by RetiredNavy02 / July 18, 2007 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon

Is there a camera is this same price range which would be a better choice as an all around performer?

Thanks!
Tom

Collapse -
Canon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 18, 2007 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: CANON

The Canon A570IS and A710IS are the top choices in that price range.

Excellent sharp lenses, quality photos.

Plus they also have the manual controls that let you get more involved with photography:
Shutter Priority
Aperture Priority
Program AE
Full Manual

Start with the camera set to "Auto" and when you get more involved with photography, you can start using the manual controls.
They are cameras that can grow with you.

If you want more megapixels and even more detail, you can look at the A630 and A640.
(8 and 10 megapixels)
They have all the bells and whistles as the other two (but not image stabilization).
Instead you get a LCD display that will tilt and swivel.
Their picture quality is also excellent.

Collapse -
Canon
by RetiredNavy02 / July 18, 2007 10:33 PM PDT

Snapshot,

Thanks for your reply and input, we really appreciate it. With so many digitals on the markets it hard to weed out which ones are okay and which ones really work well. I'm not restricted to just Canon brand cameras it just that they seem more appealing feature wise then some of the other ones on the market. My sister has been through several Fuji Cameras and loves them. Our Sony P52 at the time was one of the best values and had many features not available in that price range. Now I could be wrong but Canon seems to fill this void over Sony today (feature to feature).

I have an old Pentax ME Super and Canon Eos Elan 35mm that sits on the shelf in my closet. These cameras use to be my chose when it came to photography; especially since we took a lot of landscape and nature pictures. Since buying the digital camera, my 35mm have collected dust but at the same time I would hate to get rid of them due to the money invested in lenses and such (plus they took awesome pictures). The convienence of the digital has overridden the photo creativity of the 35mm (that's not saying you can't get create with the digital). But since I own these 35mm I hate spending an extravicant amount of money on a digital but at the same time I want to make sure I get one of the best at the price point I'm looking at (@$300).

Again, really appreciate your feedback!

Regards,
Tom in Connecticut
USN (retired)

Collapse -
Good-by to the film cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 19, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

I still have my first serious camera with mechanical shutter speed and aperture control.
It is a twin-lens Kodak Reflex II.
It takes 2.25 x 2.25 inch pictures using Kodak 620 film.

I carried it for many years, including 2 years in the Army.

Then came the Canon AE1.....Canon's first SLR 35mm film camera with electronic controls. The automatic exposure circuit was a boon to mankind.

That camera got to visit just about every entertainment park, Federal Park and State Park in California. From Disneyland to Death Valley.
It took a trip to Hawaii, Rio in Brazil and Guadalajara in Mexico.

But, when I got my first digital camera I knew it was good-by to the film cameras. Good-by to 35mm slides and projectors.

You can sit your old film camera on the shelf and remember the good times you spent with it.

It is time to embrace the new technology and run with it.

So many things to photograph and so little time to do it.

Collapse -
pentax me super
by di1944 / July 21, 2007 10:26 PM PDT

Hi , I have a pentax me super and love it but my lenses are going on me . Do you ave any lenses that you would be interested in selling ?
My favorite lens is a 35-105 pentax and has seen many rolls of film roll by . Di

Collapse -
Pentax ME Super
by RetiredNavy02 / July 22, 2007 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: pentax me super

Di,

For now I can't part with my SLR's nor their lenses even though they are collecting dust. I took a lot of outdoor photo's using both my Canon and Pentax and guess I hope to get back into outdoor photography one day and the shots I took I just could not accomplish with a digital.

Regards,
Tom

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!