Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon camcorder - need to capture audio & video separately

by havingtrouble / July 18, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

Hi!

I've just bought a Canon MD235 camcorder. I want to create videos for internet use, and I want to create them regularly. I am more concerned with sound quality than picture quality.

I have tried a number of programs - eg Windows Move Maker, PowerDirector, and Adobe Premiere - the last two on a thirty day trial - and I'm running up against the same problem.

I want the option to capture the audio separately - via an Edirol UA-25 external sound card. So as I make the video, the video will be coming from the MD235, the audio from the UA-25 soundcard. However the programs I've tried haven't given me the option to choose audio from a different source - I seem to be forced to use the camcorder's microphone. This option is available, for example, if I do the video on a webcam rather than the camcorder. Even on a webcam which has a built-in microphone.

So, I don't know what to do. I emailed the company doing one of the programs, about finding this option, and they said that it depended on the device.

Is it something intrinsic to my camcorder, or am I not using the software properly? Or is there a software package I should be using that I haven't tried yet?

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon camcorder - need to capture audio & video separately
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon camcorder - need to capture audio & video separately
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I want the option to capture the audio separately "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

What this looks like to me is you need more time with your video editors. ALL the titles I've used from Premiere, Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro allow me to drop a sound track in from some MP3 or other sound file.

As to capture I wonder why it matters. I don't really care how I capture but can put my sound track on the video in post production.

Or is that not what you want to do?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks...
by havingtrouble / July 18, 2008 1:05 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply.

Of course, I'm not trying to drop files in - I want the audio and video to be simultaneous. As the capture runs, the video comes from in from the camera, the audio comes in from the sound card, and they're collated together, all within the same video editing program. I've looked at the software very carefully, there really don't seem to be any options available.

Collapse -
"I want the audio and video to be simultaneous"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

Please explain this in deep detail. As it stands now, I have my video which came from the camcorder. My audio was from another MP3 recorder and when I put both together in the video editor I use the cue from the slate to line them up and they play back "simultaneous"ly.

Something is still unclear here.

Maybe you are trying to use your sound card as the sound source but want to capture that with the video editor. Let me share I found that to be plain "nuts." Not that I couldn't but I found it much easier to use AUDACITY for that audio capture.

In fact I don't use my video editor for capture most of the time. I use something better. It's called WINDV.
Bob

Collapse -
Setup
by havingtrouble / July 18, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

OK, set up is this.

I have an Edirol UA-25 sound card connected to the computer. This has a microphone. I also have a Canon MD235 connected, via firewire.

I go into the video software, and go into capture mode, to create my video. A I record, I want the video to come through the Canon, the audio to come through the UA-25 soundcard - I don't want the audio to come through the camera, because the quality isn't good enough. So I am not importing any pre-existing sound files.

This scheme might sound nuts, but I want quality sound without having to record using separate programs and paste everything together.

Collapse -
See if WINDV does that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Setup

Since you lead off your post with video editors I thought you wanted to work this in the fashion most of us would use. But I see now what you want to do. Again, it's not the method I've come to use and must decline trying it but if its possible it would be with either WINDV or VIRTUAL DUB. I've found capture with video editors to be too weak.
Bob

Collapse -
See if WINDV does that
by havingtrouble / July 18, 2008 1:30 AM PDT

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'll report back when I've tried them.

Collapse -
Your problem is that you are using the wrong procedure.
by Kiddpeat / July 18, 2008 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Setup

You are trying to merge two capture steps, and that will never work. Let's recap;

1. You must capture the audio from whatever source. Whether live or recorded, you need a program on the computer which can capture the audio. That program may be your video editor, or it may be something else. I use an M-Audio micro-track field recorder which produces a Microsoft WAV file. That file is simply copied to the computer's hard drive. At the other end of the spectrum, Sony Vegas has the ability to capture live audio and store it on the hard drive.

2. You must capture the video via firewire. This video should contain an audio track produced by the camera's built-in microphone.

3. Within the video editor, the captured video with its audio is placed on the timeline (probably as two tracks).

4. Within the video editor, the captured audio is placed on the timeline in a seperate track.

5. Hopefully, your video editor can show you the audio waveform of the two audio tracks. If so, align, or synchronize, the two tracks. They are aligned if, when both are played back, there is no echo. If you can't see a waveform, you will need to use your ears. Move the captured audio track until you eliminate the echo. Double check by muting the camera's audio, and confirm lip synch.

6. Once the two audio tracks are aligned, or synchronized, mute the camera's audio track.

Sony Vegas can do exactly what I have described. You will have to learn how to do this in other video editors. Trying to do the synchronization in a dual capture, even if a dual capture is possible, cannot be done. There is no way to exactly align the video and audio source.

Collapse -
Thanks
by havingtrouble / July 18, 2008 11:22 AM PDT

R. Proffitt,

I tried both programs but they didn't seem to work for me.

Kiddpeat,

So you're basically saying that I'm asking for the impossible. And thanks for all the detail. I need the video and audio to come from separate programs - or even, in the case of the audio, have that recorded separately on a sound recorder. Still it is possible to do dual capture with a webcam, for example I can specify that I want the sound coming in from the UA-25, and not from the webcam's own microphone. So why is my camcorder so different?

Collapse -
Just revisited Virtual Dub and ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Was able to capture from my mic and video from my camcorder. I must not offer tutorials on software but having succeeded all it means is "not much."

I would focus on trying it the way everyone does this in post production.
Bob

Collapse -
My apologies
by havingtrouble / July 19, 2008 12:49 AM PDT

R. Proffitt,

I just tried Virtual Dub again. And it works perfectly - it recognises the UA-25 sound card, and allows me to synchronise sound and audio. I think you've solved my problem. Thanks very much for all your help.

Collapse -
NP!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: My apologies

You are right about WINDV. It didn't do this. When I wrote the reply with Windv, Virtual Dub I was pulling from memory and sharing my thoughts so I could have been wrong about one or the other. I shared so you could dive in and try it.
Bob

Collapse -
I guess I misunderstood. I normally don't think in terms
by Kiddpeat / July 18, 2008 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

of the camera doing a "capture". I thought you were trying to set up a computer to perform a capture of prerecorded material.

However, if your camera can accomodate an external audio source, you can certainly have the camera record audio from your UA-25 while it is recording the video that it sees. The two will obviously be in synch.

I could have sworn, however, that you were earlier talking about Premier Pro. At this point, I have no idea what you are trying to do, and must decline to spend any further time on the subject. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.