PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Canon BJC-5100 -- Printer not found

Gentlemen:

I am using Operating System: WIN-98SE on a 1 Gigahertz AMD processor.

I have been using a Canon BJC-5100 printer for printing drawings from my CAD work. It is connected to the parallel port and has been working fine for a couple of years. I have this printer because I can print on 11 x 17 paper which is good for large drawings.

Recently, when I try to print a job (from CAD or any thing else), the system tells me that the printer is not found. I have un-installed the printer drivers and then reinstalled them and tried to print, but no luck.

I accidentally found that if I unplug the printer from the power source for a short time (1 - 2 Hours) and then plug it back in to the power source, it will print when I send a print job to the printer; however this only works during that session. If I shut down the system, and later start the system back up, and try to print, the printer can not be found when I try to print to it.

I realize that I can purchase a new printer, but the printers capable of printing 11 x 17 prints are few and most are costly.

Is my problem the printer, or the parallel port?

If it is the printer, is it a relatively easy fix, or should I just junk the printer?

If it is the Parallel port, does that mean it is the mother board also?

I would appreciate any help that you may give me.

Thanks,

Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon BJC-5100 -- Printer not found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon BJC-5100 -- Printer not found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Canon BJC-5100 -- Printer not found

In reply to: Canon BJC-5100 -- Printer not found

There are three parts here. And software.

First I try a boot to DOS and tap PRINTSCREEN to see if the printer prints. If not, I try the PRINTER and PRINTER CABLE on another machine with the same test. I usually get a clue about there.

If you accepted a DRIVER from Windows Update, try updating your motherboard drivers.

The list is...

PRINTER
PRINTER CABLE
PARALLEL PORT

There are parallel port cards which are cheaper than a new motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Printer not found

In reply to: Re: Canon BJC-5100 -- Printer not found

after you try Proffitt's idea......
If your printer uses a power pack instead of the a/c cord going straight into the printer, it might be blowing down, not full voltage, too hot.
Also try a new printer cable. I had one go like that.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.