Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon A710 IS ---------vs----------- Canon G7

by ICEMAN28 / December 13, 2006 10:34 AM PST

All advice is welcome.

I really like G7, but not it's price tag(In CND $s A710 is ~400 and G7 is ~700).
I care about both, the picture and video quality(but I don't know which would be better).

If anyone has both, or has come across both, please comment.
Anyone else wish to comment please do. Thanks.

I just want to know if $300 is worth the minute differences. Especially when their Specs are "practically" the same.
I'm not sure if A710's LCD resolution will be an issue.
Not sure if I really really need a video longer than 1Gb, but who knows.
I don't see what face-detection can offer me.

I do not care about: RAW; optical viewfinder; extras such as an external flash or tripod; red-eye(as plenty of programs can remove it, or I can do it myself); nor do I care about any other brand of cameras. I'll be buying a memory card of my own, so I don't care if it didn't even come with one. I don't care for the smaller buttons.

Thanks again Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon A710 IS ---------vs----------- Canon G7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon A710 IS ---------vs----------- Canon G7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon A710IS - G7
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 11:26 PM PST

The "G" series of cameras are Canon's premium cameras.

Many people were displeased to see the disappearance of the great f2.0 lens that was on the previous G cameras. The sharpest/brightest lens that Canon made.

The new 6X f2.8 lens is a one f-stop drop in brightness, which doesn't help the low light situation at all.
But it is a very sharp lens.

I was surprised that this same lens was being used on "A" series cameras (the A700 and A710IS).

So the new 6X optical zoom lens is an upgrade for the "A" series and a downgrade for the "G" series.

If I had a choice of the older G6 with image stabilization and the new A710IS, I would take the G6.

If I have to choose between the new G7 and the new A710IS and I did not need external flash, I would take the A710IS. I just can't see the extra several hundred dollar cost of the G7.

To help you decide.....you are in luck....there has just been a review released for the A710IS.

Here is a link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonA710IS/

Collapse -
A710 vs G7
by ICEMAN28 / December 14, 2006 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Canon A710IS - G7

Thanks for that info!

Also, the link is good, I get some samples to look over.

The G7 quality I think/find is slightly better, but only by a fraction.

Keep 'em coming. I'm still debating Sad

Collapse -
any results?
by haggilus / February 6, 2007 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: A710 vs G7

I have the same problem choosing between G7 and A710. ICEMAN have you bought any camera yet or come to any conclusion?
Will be much grateful for any help

Collapse -
what about the A640?
by BowerR64 / February 7, 2007 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: any results?

What about the A640? it doesnt have the zoom of the G7 or the A710 but it has the 1/1.8" CCD and a swivel screen.

I dont understand wy they robbed all the best features off the G7, IMO its not even a G series camera. No more raw, no more fast lens and no more swivel screen. Its like an over priced A series with an added hotshoe. I was excited when i read rumors of a new G series, then shocked once it was released.

I have the A700 and the A620 and its a toss up wich i like better. I really prefer a swivel screen because there are times where a swivel screen helps glare, reflections and the angle im shooting at. I sometimes hold the camera above my head, or down by my feet the swivel is super handy. I woudnt even mind a smaller screen as long as it swivels.

Collapse -
re: what about the A640?
by blaine100 / February 16, 2007 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: what about the A640?

BowerR64 is right. It's hard to choose between the A700 and the A620 (they've been rated almost exactly the same).

Between the A710 and the G7, I'd definitely go for the A710. Again, I'd agree with BowerR64 on this. The G7 shouldn't even be called a G-series camera anymore. I like the G6 way more and I've had a G-series since the G1.

Here's a link for every review on the internet (not just dpreview which is my favorite one anyways) in case you want to see what everyone says (I always do).

A700 - http://www.productcritic.com/product/26-canon-powershot-a700
A710 - http://www.productcritic.com/product/119-canon-powershot-a710-is
A620 - http://www.productcritic.com/product/8-canon-powershot-a620
A640 - http://www.productcritic.com/product/99-canon-powershot-a640
G6 - http://www.productcritic.com/product/107-canon-powershot-g6
G7 - http://www.productcritic.com/product/108-canon-powershot-g7

Of all these cameras, the A700 and the A620 had the highest scores.

Collapse -
i prefer g7 than a710 despite the price jump
by arc_marks / February 27, 2007 11:02 PM PST

last december, i bought the A710 IS. one thing i immediately noticed when i started taking shots is the time it takes before i could make another shot. it was almost 3 secs. the image it produced wass so much better than my first camera..the samsung i5, though there were pictures under the sun that i think are overexposed with auto settings.

i replaced it with the G7 by january. time between shot is good, image quality is also good. i just can't see the effect of image stabilization. maybe i just shake my hands too much when making shots. there are noise in close ups...but it's unnoticeable in prints unlike the A710 IS, this G7..i intend to keep.

i have to admit though that i sometimes think that i should have bought the A640.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.