Cameras forum

General discussion

canon 870 flash

is there option in canon 870 to reduce or increase the flash intensity? it is too bright while taking pictures of my newborn.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: canon 870 flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: canon 870 flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Flash

In reply to: canon 870 flash

I assume that you mean the Canon SD870IS camera flash.

I don't find any way to manually adjust the flash intensity.
If the room is well lit, the flash intensity will be less.
If it is daytime, in a room with a window near the child, the camera will use much less flash.

I don't recommend that you use flash with a new born, if the baby has it's eyes open.

I have used the flash if the baby's eyes are closed.
And newborn babies have their eyes closed most of the time anyway.

You can try a light deflector.
Tape some card stock over the flash so that you can bend the card stock enough that it deflects the flash upward at about a 45 degree angle. This also gives a softer light.

The other option is to turn the flash off.
But if you are indoors, you will need to put the camera on a tripod to prevent camera movement, as the exposure time will be close to a second (maybe more).

Collapse -
wide angle

In reply to: Flash

i am using my camera now to take photos of my new born. So don't want wide angle 28mm. i need 35mm only. how to swtich to regular angle instead of wide angle.

Collapse -
huh?

In reply to: wide angle

We want to help you, but what do you mean? When you zoom out you go to the focal range of 28mm and when you zoom in you increase the focal range.

Here is a visual that maybe can help you with understanding focal ranges. You can move the red slider by hitting tele or wide buttons.

Collapse -
Wide Angle

In reply to: wide angle

That camera has a 28mm focal length when it is not zoomed at all.
That is considered wide angle.

For Portaits or pictures of your baby you should zoom out to at least 2X (which would be about 56mm focal length)

I recommend that you zoom all the way out and then use your feet (back-up) to frame the baby for the shot.

Wide angle portraits will distort the features of the face.
The most common is the appearance of an enlarged nose.

Example Link:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/nikonwiz338.jpg

Collapse -
thanx

In reply to: Wide Angle

so i have to zoom in 2X and step back and trigger to get a photo equivalent to 35mm.

u have typed as zoom out. was that typo mistake?

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: thanx

50mm focal length is generally considered as photographic neutral.
It is neither wide-angle nor zoom.
That would be about 2X zoom on your camera.
Just about all of the old 35mm film SLR cameras came with a 50mm lens.

Most photographers recommend a bit of zoom when taking portraits.
So setting your camera to 3X would be OK also.

You just move yourself and the camera to frame the shot.

"Before there was zoom, there was feet."

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.