Computer Help forum

General discussion

canon 420 printer won't work.

by taliman10 / April 15, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

Hello everybody,

I just bought another canon printer, model mx420 after my other canon failed [and Canon said to mail it to knoxville.TN to fix it and can't afford the shipping costs and what ever charges they charge.

Anyway, I Installed the software that came with the printer,,,ending up with 11 [as in eleven] canon applications for canon in the 'all program s' option.

I tried USB and wireless. THey worked but stopped and, will not work or get the printer to print.
We've all been there, but this is getting old [you would think that maybe one of the eleven Canon programs would work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MatS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: canon 420 printer won't work.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: canon 420 printer won't work.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: printer.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 3:32 AM PDT

I'd start with installing the drivers. Then print the test page while it is connected via USB. Then print a simple page from Notepad or Wordpad (via USB again).

What happens? Just writing "They worked but wil not work" isn't really informative enough.

Kees

Collapse -
De-install and then re-install
by Willy / April 15, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

You should dobne a proper de-install of the printer that's the older one, top remove any s/w glitches and then reboot to clean it out. Install the new one as per instructions, no short cuts as the manual or setup guide provides. being new, it should have taken off right away. Your case seems the new printer was somehow hosed even if old Canon was the same one, it just makes things better to start "fresh". You can still still do, de-install and re-install the new printer. You may want to do this in "safe mode" in order to have a basic PC to more readily see what's there, to exclude fancy s/w or drivers, until the re-install. Come back with results.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Canon printer issue
by pgc3 / April 16, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

Firstly, which operating system are you running in your computer? This would be nice to know since there have been changes made by many and most manufacturers with regard to operating system/software compatibilities.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.