Cameras forum

General discussion

Canon 20 d - Help w/ color and lighting differences

by ltultu / March 3, 2006 4:38 AM PST

I have a Canon 20 d. I was shooting gymnastics photos and noticed that every other photo is different. One looks true to color/light and the next is grayer in color and light. I was shooting in a gym that does not have great lighting. My camera was set at 3200 ISO, 500 shutter speed and 2.8 f-stop. I also used 1600 ISO as well as the "Sport" setting. All photos had the same problem. I also tried continuous and single shot. Nothing solved the issue. I was using the Canon 70 - 200mm lens and the Canon 24 - 70mm lens. Does anyone know why this is happening??? HELP! Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Canon 20 d - Help w/ color and lighting differences
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Canon 20 d - Help w/ color and lighting differences
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What color control and correction do you own?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 4:50 AM PST
Collapse -
color control/correcton
by ltultu / March 3, 2006 5:14 AM PST

I have Adobe Elements 4, if you are inquiring about software. I am not sure what you mean by color control and correction on the camera itself.

Collapse -
color control and correction
by ltultu / March 3, 2006 5:33 AM PST

Hi, the website you posted is not responding, so I have not been able to check it out. When you say color control and correction, are you referring to software?

Collapse -
To start off. try these words in google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 5:48 AM PST

PANTONE SPYDER.

It's a chunk of hardware and software to measure, correct your colors on displays and more. What you noted is not going to help yet.

Bob

Collapse -
Gymnastics Photos
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 7:13 AM PST

When shooting in manual mode, you are in charge of choosing settings that give perfect exposure. And if you are not using a light meter, you don't know.

I suggest that you use the Shutter Priority setting.
Choose 1/250th second to start with. Let the camera select the rest. The camera should warn you if there is not enough light for perfect exposure.

If you get such a warning, you can try a slower shutter speed.

Collapse -
shutter priority
by ltultu / March 3, 2006 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Gymnastics Photos

Hi,
Thank you. I was shooting in shutter priority. It is just strange how every other photo was affected, even in continuous mode.

Collapse -
Investigation
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: shutter priority

You could examine the EXIF information that is embedded in each digital photo file.

That will let you know if the camera is using different settings between two sequential shots.

Armed with that information, you might quiz Canon as to why the difference in the settings; or if the settings are the same, quiz Canon as to why the exposure is not the same.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info!
by ltultu / March 5, 2006 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: Investigation

Hi,
Thank you for your reply to my situation with my Canon camera. I did contact Canon and they had me email some photos refelcting the problem. The camera is only a week old. I may just go and exchange it for another if I can't figure out the problem. A friend of mine thought the camera was having trouble with keeping the shutter speed constant. Maybe my battery was low. I am going to try it again with a full charge on my battery and see what happens.
Janice

Collapse -
Is the camera set to bracket your shots? A bracket would
by Kiddpeat / March 3, 2006 9:46 AM PST

do something like that.

Collapse -
My guesses are :
by jump1127 / March 3, 2006 1:01 PM PST

1. Perhaps, you were setting AEB for the 3 different exposures. It definitely affects the shooting outcome.

2. In additions, different light-metering also give you a different output !

3. Eventually, switch to the right white balance and don't use AWB ( Auto White Balance ). I shot my old 20D in many indoor light and found out that AWB doesn't work properly sometimes. Use tungsten, fluorescent, daylight, and other correct light temperature give you a more steady lighting control.

Collapse -
WB is largely meaningless if you shoot in raw. Mine is set
by Kiddpeat / March 6, 2006 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: My guesses are :

to auto all the time. I adjust white balance when I process the raw file. I've never noticed a problem with WB itself.

Collapse -
Yes, it's true..
by jump1127 / March 6, 2006 1:33 AM PST

when you shoot picture in RAW, no matter what light condition DPP allows you a switch over. I used to shoot indoor using JPEG and found difficulties of camera AWB. Sometimes, the color tone didn't come out right; therefore, I decided to be more selective by either choose the correct WB or shoot the picture in RAW. But, lately, I get tired of digital darkroom. I just simply shoot in JPEG files, just a precaution under what lighting circumstance I shoot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.