Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Cannot view CNet.com images in IE or FireFox

When I load CNet.com into both IE and Firefox browser, all images appear as broken links and formatting is scattered all across the page.

This does not happen with any other website.

I use Firefox 1.0.3 (no extensions) and IE 6.0.

I use Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

As suggested in other forums on the web:

- I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Flash.

- I have emptied my cache and reloaded.

- I have turned off my firewall, reloaded and it still happens.

A big thank you for your kind response to any assistance you can offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot view CNet.com images in IE or FireFox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot view CNet.com images in IE or FireFox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HOSTS file

In reply to: Cannot view CNet.com images in IE or FireFox

By the way, I have not changed my HOSTS file in four years, and I have looked through it and there is no mention of i.i.com.com anywhere in the list.

Collapse -
Re: hosts file

In reply to: HOSTS file

Still, try to rename the HOSTS file, reboot, and see if it make any difference. If so, right click on the picture to see where it comes from, and locate that site in the (renamed) hosts file, before renaming it back.
A good candidate is adlog.com.com

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: hosts file

In reply to: Re: hosts file

Yes--that worked!

I'll check out the adlog.com.com.

Thanks a million.

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Cannot view CNet.com images in IE or FireFox

PART I:

1. After installing SP2 and using Outlook Express, you'll note that automatic downloads of images and other external content in HTML e-mail has been blocked (protects you from viewing offensive and possibly illegal images while simultaneously preventing spammers from verifying your e-mail address) because the InfoBar will appear above the message body telling you so. To download the blocked content, all you have to do is click on the InfoBar. Should you wish to turn this feature off, you can do so easily in the Security Options (''Block images and other content in HTML e-mail'' - Image).

2. The Internet Explorer Information Bar (SP2) replaces many of the common dialog boxes that prompted users for information in previous versions and provides a prominent area for displaying information that users may want to view or act upon. Examples of dialog boxes that have been replaced include blocked ActiveX installs, pop-ups, downloads and active content. Turning off the Information Bar for the Pop-up Blocker causes it to return to notifying users with the status bar icon. All the same menu items are accessible from this status bar icon if the bar is disabled for pop-ups. When the bar appears, the Windows trust icon appears in place of the Error on page notification on the status bar.

Note: There is a custom security zone setting for the bar that enables users to change the settings by security zone. Users can choose to go back to the behavior of XP SP1 and get a less prominent notification for file and code downloads.

a. ''Block Pop-up Windows with Internet Explorer.''

b. ''How to configure the Pop-up Blocker in Internet Explorer (Q843016).''

c. ''Description of the Internet Explorer Information Bar in Windows XP SP2 (Q843017).''

d. ''How to configure Internet Explorer automatic download prompts on your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer (Q883255).''

PART II:

1. The article [Q314854] describes procedures that you can follow to troubleshoot difficulties with video drivers when you start your computer in Windows XP. Specifically, this article describes how to find out which video drivers are loading.

Note: Generally, video problems can stem from two common causes:

? the wrong video driver is installed.

? the settings made by using the Display options in Control Panel are incorrect -- such as setting the wrong monitor type, a mismatch that can result in distorted images if the monitor cannot synchronize with the video card's resolution or refresh rate.

2. The Microsoft article ''Resources for Troubleshooting Display Problems in Windows XP (Q307960)'' is intended to assist you in using the Video Display Troubleshooter that is included in Windows XP Help and Support Center, provides a list of online support services, and recommends other articles that may help solving video problems.

3. The article [Q286350] discusses Autodump+ (ADPlus.vbs) a new tool from Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) which is a console-based Microsoft Visual Basic script that can be used to troubleshoot any process or application that stops responding (hangs) or fails (crashes).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.