Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Cannot uninstall ie7 beta 2 preview: please help.

by logangreer / February 5, 2006 6:22 AM PST

I can't uninstall ie7 Beta2 preview. I have tried the "Show Updates" and then clicked on "Remove" next to ie7 but it says:

"Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview cannot be uninstalled from this user account. Please log on to the same user account from which is was installed and try again."

I only have two user accounts on my computer; I tried both and I got the same error message both times. HELP! IE7 is messing with programs that use IE by default. They have become unusable and it's driving me CRAZY!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot uninstall ie7 beta 2 preview: please help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot uninstall ie7 beta 2 preview: please help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some info at
by caktus / February 5, 2006 7:42 AM PST
Collapse -
ie7 beta2
by crazeebob2000 / February 7, 2006 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall beta 7

I,m trying it out now, no problems so far, but I'm a Firefox fan. I created a restore point before I installed the new IE just in case. (Trust No One, LOL)

Collapse -
Removing IE7
by essexboy / February 8, 2006 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: ie7 beta2

Go to add remove programmes tick the show updates box on the top. IE7 will appear click remove and it will restore you to IE6

Collapse -
Cannot uninstall IE beta 7
by ElMalik / February 8, 2006 6:54 AM PST

To uninstall IE 7 beta,just click on start to control panel to add n remove program and look for Windown Programs which is on the left side of the window,just click there,it should say add or remove Windows components.That should solve your problem.

Collapse -
Uninstalling ie7
by hasnain721 / February 10, 2006 4:39 AM PST

Hey der!
I had installed ie7 beta and found it no good to be honest. So i decided to uninstall it.
To do that, go to control panel,add remove and search for that and un install it.
If that doesnt work then i would recommend system restore.
Cheers!

Collapse -
Uninstall IE7 Beta 2
by gaz999 / February 18, 2006 9:25 AM PST

I had exactly the same problem as you and the same error message, it would not uninstall and also system restore would not work either, but then I tried this and all was fine!

From the start menu, click on run and then type reg edit and Go to the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Right click on Internet Explorer > New String Value > Name that value
InstalledByUser

Next right click on that key you just created and then type in the value (the value of the new String should be your User Account
name) > Then Uninstall IE7 via Add/Remove Programs.

This worked for me and removed IE7 Beta 2 from my system and automatically left me with a fully working IE6 as it was before!

Collapse -
It's useful if it works for YOU!
by gaz999 / February 18, 2006 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: ''May not be useful''!

I agree with what you are saying here. But my reply was intended for the OS who has the same problems that I had and this should be the solution for him! So this would be useful for people in those circumstances!

Collapse -
Uninstalling IE7 Beta2
by wbenel / March 5, 2006 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall IE7 Beta 2

I have been working on this for the past 3 days without success,even with help from Microsoft.Your advice worked a treat & IE6 is home again.My grateful thanks.I will sleep tonight.

Collapse -
Glad it worked for you!
by gaz999 / March 7, 2006 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstalling IE7 Beta2

Hi Stewart, Pleased that it worked for you - best wishes

Collapse -
Thank you !
by svDakare / March 10, 2006 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall IE7 Beta 2

Thanks a lot! Have been tying for uninstalling for a long time without any solution. Now it is uninstalled and my problem solved.

Collapse -
There is only one way that I know of
by goldengreeke / February 19, 2006 4:37 AM PST

Do a system restore to a day or even an hour before you installed IE 7. If you don't have XP... you are stuck with the beta version until they update it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) IE7 Beta 2 Preview is only available for Windows XP. :)
by John.Wilkinson / February 19, 2006 4:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Yeah. I found.
by Samarth12 / March 11, 2006 10:31 AM PST

Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview cannot be uninstalled from this user account

1. Open regedit
2. go to HKCU,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
3. in right panel, right click, new and create a REG_SZ type, renamed by InstalledByUser

bingo. Now, you can unistall IE7

Collapse -
More advice required please - little experience using regedi
by milesgp / August 17, 2006 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah. I found.

I too have the same problem removing IE7 but have little to no experience of using regedit. I found the HKCU/software\microsoft\internet explorer but there ate further items below ? also when I select NEW do I want new key, string value etc also what is the Name and is the value renamed by InstalledByUser or just InstalledByUser

Many thanks in anticipation of your response

A novice

Collapse -
why don't you just do this?
by oludir / August 17, 2006 9:17 AM PDT

why not use system restore and restore your windows xp to the point before you installed IE7?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?