HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Cannot turn either laptop into a wifi hotspot win xp

by Surrealll / November 1, 2011 10:18 PM PDT

Hi all,

I am having a lot of trouble making either of my laptops into a wifi hotspot.

I have read all the guides on google, and they all say the same thing.

When i go to my local area connection properties. I didnt have the authentication tab, i how resolved that now in services.msc.

I follow the steps to the letter...and when i view available network connections from the laptop i am creating the hotspot from. i can see the wireless hotspot. But i cannot connect to the ******. And my phone doesnt see it at all

I have tried disabling firewall and virus/malware programmes. I have downloaded all updates for windows.

I have the same problem on my thinkpad, as well as my dell laptop

Any suggestions, i googled and couldnt find people with problems creating a laptop hotspot. Just how to make one.

Rgds

Surreall

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot turn either laptop into a wifi hotspot win xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot turn either laptop into a wifi hotspot win xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Same here. How did I solve it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 1:38 AM PDT

I had the same need while moving to our new home. To fix this I added a router which was setup like so.

Netbook w/tethered phone for internet.
ICS and setup to share to the ethernet port.
Router with it's WAN port connected to the netbook's ethernet port.

This is not an offer to detail this further since you must be able to support such a setup but I hope you can use something similar.
Bob

Collapse -
help
by Surrealll / November 2, 2011 4:18 AM PDT

I have a wireless router and it works great.

All i want is to make the laptop a wifi hotspot.....it looks damn easy to do. But for some reason it does not work for me

At work i have a ethernet internet only...and i would like to make my laptop into a wifi hotspot so i can use my phone on it.

I follow all the intructions and i get the wifi-hotspot to show up on my wireless connections on the laptop i am setting it up. But that laptop cannot connect to it. And it is not viewable by other devices

Rgds

Surreall

Collapse -
Since this was not a feature in XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: help

And even the known ADHOC mode was unreliable I went with a solid solution.

I can only guess how much time folk lose on such setups. Another reason I went with a solid, well known solution.
Bob

Collapse -
Phone?
by Coryphaeus / November 2, 2011 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: help

Why not just use wi-fi from the router to the phone?

Collapse -
help!
by Surrealll / November 2, 2011 5:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Phone?

I want to make my laptop a wifi hotspot cause at work there is no wireless available

Any one with any ideas?

Rgds

Surreall

Collapse -
What am I missing?
by Coryphaeus / November 2, 2011 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: help!

Does your router not have wireless? You said that it does. As Bob states above, what you are trying to do is not supported and will be jake-leg at best. If your router is wireless, turn on the radio.

Collapse -
attached
by Surrealll / November 2, 2011 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: What am I missing?
Collapse -
As you can see, that's an ADHOC network.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: attached

This is not the same as a wifi hotspot that many want and it appears to be the WRONG video for you.

Let's get down to a basic question.

Do you understand ADHOC versus the usual wifi router mode?
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you for your time
by Surrealll / November 3, 2011 6:14 PM PDT

Hi there,

Thank you for your help

I was under the impression, and probably wrong, that adhoc was for computer to computer. And i could use that for my mobile

Wifi router mode, i presume is a general wifi for any computer/mobile to connect to?

Rgds

Surreall

Collapse -
ADHOC is ... ADHOC and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2011 3:05 AM PDT

Your routers use an "infra structure" mode. You may have succeeded to create this ADHOC hotspot but didn't change the clients to look for an ADHOC network.
Bob

Collapse -
no access to router
by Surrealll / November 16, 2011 7:35 PM PST
In reply to: ADHOC is ... ADHOC and

Unfortunatley i do not have access to the works router

I only have access to my laptop, which i need to use the internet from for my phone

Rgds

Surreall

Collapse -
Do you understand the basics?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: no access to router

For example WIFI has two basic modes.

ADHOC
Infrastructure.

ADHOC is going to create trouble as most folk had no experience using it. I used it years ago for a portable demo of a data collection system. While it worked for me, the next person could not make it work. Turned out they were ignoring the step by step directions since they knew how to setup wifi.

NEXT IDEA? Move to something like http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.