Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

Cannot start windows -- BSoD hits during green scrolling bar

by Titann8389 / December 21, 2008 6:59 AM PST

Hey all.. I'm posting from my old computer T_T..
Basically I was on my computer today and just went to do a quick restart only to restart it and have it not work. By that I mean it got to the loading screen for Windows Vista (Green Scrolling bar) then sits there for about 1-2 minutes only to blue screen. So I tried using my older HDD with windows xp loaded on it only for it to do the same thing (Cannot get into safe mode either) So I'm assuming it was a hardware issue of some sort. Tried using each stick of ram alone (1gb each).. No sound card, Video card in both PCI-E Slots, etc etc.. I'm pretty much extremely at a loss at this point and figured maybe you guys could help.. Here's my MoBo and Video Card info
-Asus M2N-SLI (nvidia nForce 560 chipset)
-Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 1gb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot start windows -- BSoD hits during green scrolling bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot start windows -- BSoD hits during green scrolling bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isn't that 8600 noted as possibly defective?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 7:17 AM PST

Try another video card.

Collapse -
re:
by Titann8389 / December 21, 2008 7:22 AM PST

Why would my video card allow me to get all the way to the loading screen then **** out..?

Collapse -
Hint: When the video drivers start kicking in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: re:

I can't offer a long explainer on how Windows works here. But we all know about Nvidia's troubles with the 8400 and 8600 chips so its always a suspect when I find a machine that's trouble.

In parting I had one client that was not believing this so it took them a few months to change everything but the video card. Sadly I was right about that one. They still wanted to know why but since I am not the maker of this product I can only offer it for what it is.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=8600+defective touches only the tip of this iceberg. It is not limited to the mobile or on board versions.
Bob

PS. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

Collapse -
by Titann8389 / December 21, 2008 8:33 AM PST

Bump Sad

Collapse -
Debump.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: ...

What spare parts do we have to work with?

Collapse -
Umm
by Titann8389 / December 21, 2008 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: ...

Nothing much.. A HDD and sound card >_<

Collapse -
Edit
by Titann8389 / December 21, 2008 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Umm

The computer I am using now is old (2002ish) using a VGA Video card so its not cross compatible with my new computer (4 months old)

Collapse -
Let's ask this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: Edit

Is the BIOS current and do the RAM settings match the RAM maker's suggested settings?

Can I ask you not write "it worked before" since while that's good to know it doesn't work now so we try to see what we can pick out as a possible cause.
Bob

Collapse -
Yep
by Titann8389 / December 21, 2008 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Let's ask this.

Yes and yes to both of those questions..

Collapse -
Then we circle back to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Yep

What I running into most often. Given only what you've told, only one board floats to the top of the suspect list.

Collapse -
HUh
by Titann8389 / December 22, 2008 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Then we circle back to

What does that mean? Silly

Collapse -
In a sentence.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: HUh

You supply information and I use that to pick out what the most likely item or issue is.

Collapse -
Okay
by Titann8389 / December 22, 2008 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: In a sentence.

Umm... if it helps any I went to try the Repair utility on the Windows Vista Disk.. It started up and I eventually (After ~30 Minutes) was able to start the repair.. Then I went to work only to come home 10 hours later and for it to still be at the repairing screen.. Which 'should' take 1-2 Hours.. So it still seems to be a hardware issue, not a HDD issue..Idk

Collapse -
While it could be the HDD, I didn't list that because.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: Okay

In your first post you shared you swapped that out and the problem remained.

Collapse -
Truth
by Titann8389 / December 22, 2008 6:50 AM PST

While talking with a friend he noted the issue with using the other HDD (With Windows Xp) could of been that it was used on a different MoBo and that would cause it to blue screen... Not sure if that is true or not but that's what he said.

Collapse -
I only know what is written here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Truth

I re-read your first post and a few others. So far the video card is near the top if not the top of the suspects.

As to the hard disk drive. Windows does not move from machine to machine well. Easy enough to install it on your machine, drivers and such to test this out.
Bob

Collapse -
Woot!
by Titann8389 / December 22, 2008 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: Truth

Well I went to boot into safe mode to see where it was choking and to my surprise.. it booted O.o.. Then I tried normal windows and again, booted.. So it is working like normal atm.. hope it continues. Thanks for the help =]

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!