General discussion

Cannot set Start up time, In Energy Saver Preference

iMac Intel i3 21.5" OS 10.6.4

After umpteen years of leaving the power ON on my computers, I have decided to Shutdown before
going to bed. Reasons are my little contribution to energy saving, and wear and tear of my computer
hardware. I could understand to leave the power ON on older equipment when power ON would cause
sudden inrush of currents to stress some components, mainly capacitors. But today?s switching power
supply designs are such as to prevent such an inrush of currents.

Still I would like the computer to turn ON on Monday morning at 1:45am so that Cocktail can do its things
at 2:00am. Why is it that I cannot set a Start up time in my Energy Saver panel. I cannot enter
the time in the ?at? box. Clicking on either up or down arrows does not do anything. The "at" box remains blank, i.e. there are no digits in the box.

I have tried to trash the HD->Library->Preferences->System configuration-> com.apple.PowerManagement.plist and com.apple.AutoWake.plist to no avail.

I tried a Test account and sure enough I CAN set the Start up time. What can be the problem with my own administrative account?

jb99

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cannot set Start up time, In Energy Saver Preference
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cannot set Start up time, In Energy Saver Preference
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not sure where the problem lies with you account, but,

the normal practice would be to replace your account with another and transfer your personal data from the old account to the new one.

Since this involves a fair amount of work, you have to decide whether it is worth the effort to cure the problem.

You could tell the machine to sleep, shutting down the hard drives too, and Cocktail "should" wake the machine to do its thing.

I doubt an Archive and Install would work in this case as you would be preserving your existing account during the install.

P

- Collapse -
Cannot set Start up time, In Energy Saver Preference

Thank you mrmacfixit for an answer most prompt. I will follow your suggestion and contact Applecare.
My computer is only 2 months old. Everything else is working great.

jb99

CNET Forums

Forum Info