Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cannot see cd drive/ dvd drive on "my computer"

by leyton123 / January 28, 2004 5:26 AM PST

hi my two drives are missing from my computer but both are recognised when I start the computer up, I?ve tried the Microsoft recommendations but when I went to the place in the registry there were no upper and lower filters, I?ve tried everything, the drives aren?t in device manager and I?ve tried to add new hardware but to no avail. I've also tried to download the drivers but they don?t recognise the drive either...

Help!

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot see cd drive/ dvd drive on "my computer"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot see cd drive/ dvd drive on "my computer"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do a little backtracking....
by Michael Geist / January 28, 2004 7:00 AM PST

When did it last work?
What changed since it last worked?
System Restore?
Virus and spyware scan?
EZCD or DirectCD installed and not updated?

Collapse -
Re:cannot see cd drive/ dvd drive on
by NonSuch / January 28, 2004 12:50 PM PST

I have a similar problem. Neither my CDROM nor DVD-RAM drives are recognized (nor do they function) after returning from Standby mode. They do not show up in Windows Explorer, device manager, etc. However, if I shut down and then restart the computer, the drives reappear.

Unfortunately, in my case, I have found no resolution, other than just not using the standby mode. The computer manufacturer was unable to resolve the issue, nor did I find any useful suggestions on the Microsoft newsgroups.

I wish you better luck. Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:cannot see cd drive/ dvd drive on
by Mailman / January 28, 2004 7:33 PM PST

I would see if the manufacturers have new firmware for the drives, and if so flash them.

~Dave

Collapse -
The no upper and lower filters fix doesn't apply to this yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2004 10:22 PM PST

1. "no upper and lower filters, I?ve tried everything, the drives aren?t in device manager" is the key clue.

The article did note that the drives appeared in the Device Manager, but may have error codes 19, 29 or 31.

This article doesn't apply to your issue.

2. "I?ve tried to add new hardware but to no avail. I've also tried to download the drivers but they don?t recognise the drive either."

a. For XP, NO DRIVERS are installed by the enduser for CD/DVD drives. Stop doing that.
b. Since the drives are seen by the BIOS, the usual issue is motherboard drivers not being installed or a failed cable or drive. I can't offer where your motherboard drivers would be since no make/models were revealed. As to the IDE cable, I always fit a NEW 80 CONDUCTOR cable, set both drives to Cable Select and test one drive at a time to see if one or the other has failed.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:cannot see cd drive/ dvd drive on
by thebox / February 1, 2004 9:17 PM PST

Hi Tom on this end I had the same problem at one time.Some drives will conflict with one another causing the problem. Try changing the oldest drive to a newer modle it worked for me.

Collapse -
Maybe you are missing the first step??
by chewonit / March 19, 2011 5:08 AM PDT

The same thing happened to me after I cloned my C Drive. Both DVD drives could not be seen in File Manager. On the control panel, there were yellow exclaimation marks on both drives. Here is what I did to solve this.

STEP 1 - Reassign all hard drives and removable drives' letters, keeping drive D and E letters free.
Right click on My Computer and go into Manage
Reassign all drive letters in here and exclude drive letters D and E keeping them free as you want to have the DVD drives (assuming you have 2 of them) as D and E drives.

STEP 2 - Dive into REGEDIT in Windows XP

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
10. Exit Registry Editor.

STEP 3 - Restart Windows XP
And that should solve your problem!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue

The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.