Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cannot save images (GIF, JPEG)...suddenly

by mujilakama / September 18, 2004 12:29 PM PDT

I have always been able to save images (GIF, JPEG) by doing the usual procedure: right-clicking the image, selecting "save image as", and then saving it onto my Desktop (the place whre I typically save things). Suddenly today this no longer works. I tried saving several images in this fashion - saving 4-5 different images - but the images are not being saved.

I later tried saving these images, as an experiment, into "My Documents" and "My Pictures" - but they still do not get saved.

I searched for them (via "Search for Fles and Folders") but they are not to be found. I restarted the computer, but still this problem persists and images still cannot be saved.

Could anyone advise me as to what may be going on and what steps I could take to correct this problem?
Note: I am a high beginner (not advanced) computer user.

Thank you for any ideas you can offer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot save images (GIF, JPEG)...suddenly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot save images (GIF, JPEG)...suddenly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cannot save images (GIF, JPEG)...suddenly
by Stan Chambers / September 18, 2004 2:07 PM PDT

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -
by xcks / September 18, 2004 2:28 PM PDT

First off you should save GIF & JPEG type images in the default "my pictures" folder. (unless you do not want to, but saving them to the desktop will overstuff the "WINDOWS" file)

For example if you right click a blank area on the desktop> select properties> under the "desktop" header> select "browse" or even scroll down the "backgrounds" list you should probally see/find the recent idems you are refering too. Then again maybe not, if it is overstuffed.

I searched for them (via "Search for Fles and Folders") but they are not to be found. ........
BEFORE STARTING a search, did you:
click on TOOLS
scroll down to FOLDER OPTIONS (open folder options)
selecting the VIEW header
as well as useing the MORE ADVANCED OPTIONS
select the 1st 3 boxes should be 5 total

THEN do the search?

Try doing a system restore to when things were working ok.
Check to see if you may have changed the default
(this is found in the FOLDER OPTIONS) as well.

Good Luck! Hope that helped.

Collapse -
by mujilakama / September 19, 2004 1:22 AM PDT

[Note to Ernie: I am using Windows XP Home version on a newer (E-machine T3265 computer).]

[Note to xcks: In ?Folder Options?, the ? SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS? option was already checked and under the ?ADVANCED OPTIONS?
the first 3 boxes, for a total of 5, were also already checked.]

I thought that what had brought about this change (that is, the inability to save images) might be the fact that the other day I ran a ?Disk Cleanup?. I had run it several times before, but this time I included the ?compress old files? option. Perhaps that somehow changed things, I thought.

I now have a better idea of what the root of this problem might be (and I don?t know if any of you can help me with this one). I had been trying to save the images (?allowed to be copied/downloaded? photos and other images found on the internet) using Netscape via its ?save image as? option; those were not working. So, I just now tried doing the same thing (but using IE via its ?save picture as? option) ? and the images are now save-able. So, in conclusion, it appears to be essentially a problem with Netscape.

However?I also just ran System Restore, as one of you suggested; this did not (and perhaps could not) clear up the Netscape-related problem, however in doing the System Restore my computer came up with this message: ?this system has recovered from a serious error? ? and it indicated that this was a driver problem on my HP printer. So I did another System Restore (going back another week earlier) and got this same ?serious error/driver problem? message. So, I?m not sure what?s going on, but at least the saving of images can be accomplished through IE, I have discovered.

In conclusion, any comments on the above would be appreciated. (In particular I?m wondering if doing a Disk Cleanup with its compress files option could have somehow created or triggered this problem.)

Thanks to all of you for your help ? and for any further insights you might have on this.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 18, 2004 7:27 PM PDT

As a first step, try deleting your Temp and Temporary Internet Files. Use disk-clean up or Internet Options...You can find help at Start>Help and Support on how to do this.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?