Mac OS forum

General discussion

Cannot restore Boot Camp partition under Snow Leopard

by Geodon / September 6, 2009 12:40 PM PDT

I have decided to eliminate my Boot Camp partition running Windows Vista, but when I attempted to restore the partition using Boot Camp Assistant, I got the following message:

Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used.
You must update your system software before using this setup assistant.

I am running Snow Leopard, and there IS no update to the system software! How do I resolve this?

MacBook Pro 15", 2.93 GHZ, 4 GB RAM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot restore Boot Camp partition under Snow Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot restore Boot Camp partition under Snow Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem
by airjock / October 3, 2009 1:26 PM PDT

I also set to eliminate Windows on my Macs (I have two of them - iMac 20' Intel & MacBook) and immediately encountered the same problem. I tried everything I managed to find online - to no avail. Today I paid a visit to a Genius Bar - with the same result (f..... geniuses indeed). The only thing the guy proved to be able to do was reformatting the partition in question in Mac OS, so that now I have two Mac partitions on one hard drive - not much for "geniuses" really. It looks like the problem is inherent to Macs with Snow Leopard, although nobody at Apples is eager to admit that. I just wonder when and who will crack the problem.

Collapse -
This may help
by iSki_iMac / October 3, 2009 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I don't know if this will help, but I've used Drive Genius 2 to repartition drives. Select repartition and then select the partition you want to eliminate and select delete. Hope this works for you.

Collapse -
Wary a bit about DG
by airjock / October 4, 2009 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: This may help

Thanks for the reply. I do have DG in my inventory but I'm rather wary about the tool after a very bad recent experience. Up to a few weeks ago I had used DG (previous version) for defrag and other purposes more or less without problems. Then, there was an update to 2.2.1. Next day I set to defrag my HD, and after the job was supposed to be done my Mac promptly crashed refusing to start up. It took me Disk Warrior (a really magnificent tool!), my Time Machine, and about three hours to restore everything...

Still, as the "Geniuses" appear to be of no help, could you please be a bit more specific on how to use the DG for the purpose? Thanks.

Collapse -
clone your hard drive first
by iSki_iMac / October 4, 2009 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Wary a bit about DG

Here's what I would try:

First clone your internal drive (just the partition you do want) to an external drive. I use SuperDuper! and it has saved me a number of times. I can't recommend it enough. It's the first app I install on my macs, and I set it to clone 1-2 times a week.

After you clone your drive, restart mac using the clone as your startup disk and confirm that clone was successful. There really shouldn't be any problems.

Then, while still using clone as your startup disk, launch DG2.
Select 'Repartition' and select your internal drive from the left.
Select the partition you want to delete and select delete on the bottom.
Hopefully this will leave you with the one partition you want.

If this doesn't work, since you have the clone, try to initialize the complete disk.
If this works, just use SuperDuper! to 'clone' back to your internal disk.

Collapse -
Restore Partition
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 12:14 AM PDT

Check to see if journalling is enabled on your Mac partition.

If it isn't, then enable it and try to restore the partition again

Collapse -
by airjock / October 4, 2009 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore Partition

That was the first thing the guy at the Genius Bar checked...

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Journaling

on the subject of defragging.

It's really not necessary with OS X and can cause problems if files are moved and placed in an unexpected location.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?