Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cannot Rename Folders in Windows Vista

Apparently at some point, the Registry on my PC was corrupted such that I cannot rename folders, either ones that already exist, or a "New Folder" that is created.

I get the error message "The file or folder does not exist."

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium (32Bit Version) on a new Dell Inspiron D530 desktop computer.

I have tried several websites, including Microsoft's (and others) at:

support.microsoft.com/kb/949109/en-us

where I created the RenameFolders.reg file suggested and ran it(and it did NOT work)

and at the website:

www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130137-cannot-rename-move-file-folder-vista-fix.html

where I download the Fix_Rename_32_Bit_Vista.reg file and ran this as suggested and it ALSO did NOT work.

I e-mailed Microsoft about this, and they told me that as my OS was supplied by Dell Computer to contact them.

Dell Support, also could not help me fix this problem, although they tried. Finally, their only solution was to pay for Premium Tech Support (either with them or with Microsoft), or to restore my PC to factory condition.

(This latter option I would rather NOT do, as it would requite lots of time, as I'd need probably 20+ CDs burned alone just for my digital camera pictures, plus additional CDs for my other data, plus the time this would require to do, plus reinstalling my other software back onto my PC.)

Does anyone have a SOLUTION to this problem that actually works?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Rename Folders in Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Rename Folders in Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So do tell us what happens when you log in ...

In reply to: Cannot Rename Folders in Windows Vista

using a different account (such as the default ADMINISTRATOR account)?

Can you then rename folders?

If so (and this is highly likely) you just need to create a new user account and transfer your present files etc into your new account then log in as the new account and take ownership of any you get an access error on. Corrupted user profiles will do some strange things.

Collapse -
Login exists only as Administrator

In reply to: So do tell us what happens when you log in ...

Since this computer IS only used at home, there is only ONE account on the computer, with it as the default Adminstrator account, with NO passwords. This problem with not being able to rename folders does NOT appear to be a PERMISSIONS or an OWNERSHIP issue. I checked this.

The only thing that I've gotten to work is to use a freeware application called "UNLOCKER" and to "force a rename" of a folder at reboot of the computer, which is clearly NOT what I'd like to have to do.

Collapse -
Registry issues?

In reply to: Login exists only as Administrator

You may want to try a command prompt utility built into windows. I am not certain it exists in vista, due to the amazing amounts of variables in versions.. It works in XP Pro..

Go to start.. the orb
then type in cmd in the search and press enter on keyboard
In the command prompt
Type in Chkdsk /r
It will prompt you it cannot run while windows is running.
Type Y for yes on reboot to run
Exit the command prompt
reboot the machine
this will check to see if windows can fix the registry

You may further want to check out this forum
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130137-cannot-rename-move-file-folder-vista-fix.html

Collapse -
Cannot run Chkdsk \r as I have insufficient priviledges

In reply to: Registry issues?

Even though there is only ONE account on this machine, I get the following error message:

C:\Users\mycomputername>Chkdsk \r
Access Denied as you do not have sufficient priviledges.
You have to invoke this utility running in an elevated mode.

How do I "invoke this utility running in an elevated mode"?

Obviously, I need to do this first to see if this will work. By the way, I have read the suggested weblink, and have already tried that without success.

Collapse -
"only one account"

That isn't true. Edward talked about the secret administrator account, you obviously overlooked until now. That's understandable. Read about it in http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-unlock-secret-default.html and try it.

By the way, it's bad practice to have only one visible account. If that's corrupted, somehow, you have some troubles, as you see now.

Things to try:
- see if renaming a folder works after booting in Safe Mode
- see if it works in the newly discovered administrator account
- see if it works if you create a new account and use that
- if it used to worked and suddenly stopped, try System Restore back to then

Do I understand correctly you have no backup of some 15 Gb of your data. That's risky. Imagine that your problem isn't about renaming folders but a defective hard disk. That's 15 Gb of data totally gone. Your choice, of course, to not backup, but not mine.

Kees

Collapse -
As Kees notes ther IS a default Administrator account ...

that is hidden and disabled by default but that gives TOTAL admin capabilities.

His link provides one method to activate the Administartor account and this link offers two other methods -
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-activate-hidden-administrator-account-in-windows-vista/

As the link above suggests, after activating it set a strong password for it or even better, DEACTIVATE it after use.

I would also STRONGLY recommend creating an additional account within the Admin group because user accounts do get corrupted and having an additional account within the Admin group can often completely eliminate severe headaches caused by a corrupt account not allowing the computer to be logged on to.

Collapse -
This may, this may not work

Just thought i would see if this idea would work in vista as it does in XP..
Right click on the taskbar,
select properties
click check box that says "show quick launch"
You should see IE in your taskbar, next to the start orb

Right click on the IE button
Select "Run as"
Click the bullet next to "the following user"
type in YOURPCNAME\Administrator
for password leave blank
Click
OK
if it launches IE
your administrator password is blank
that is actually helpful

Next,
again, if someone else can shed some light on this, that would be helpful, as i dont know if you can do this in vista...

Go to the control Panel
User accounts
Change the way users logon
Unclick both of the check boxes
Log off
Use administrator as the username
and leave blank as the passoword

this "again with vista???" should work if this feature exists in vista..

Collapse -
No, that will not work ...

In reply to: This may, this may not work

take a moment or two to read info at links posted previously to see why.

We try hard to NOT give advice that someone might try to follow but become confused when things don't appear like the method indicates they should. That is how some really strange conflicts and confusion happens.

This is why we recommend reading the responses before responding to a post (errors or mis-guidance can be corrected and duplication of advice is kept to a minimum.

Collapse -
RE

In reply to: Cannot Rename Folders in Windows Vista

If it started about say 10-20 days ago try using System Restore

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.