Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

cannot receive email

by davedave / March 18, 2005 1:28 PM PST

Hi all,

For 3 days now I cannot get any email client to receive mail from a POP3 account. I have Outlook 2003, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird - all three can send emails through SMTP, but none can receive from that POP3 acct.

However, I can access the mail on that account through a web based client (through my Yahoo acct.) with the exact same settings!

Firewall is off, and I've tried disabling Norton's script blocking and email scanning - to no avail. Incoming port is set to 110. By elimination, it can't be a server problem (since I can access it through Yahoo), Outlook, etc. work fine with other accounts, and the settings are fine too (work fine in Yahoo). Must be something on my computer blocking that server, but what? Error message is connection to the server was interrupted.

Can anyone help, please? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot receive email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot receive email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by PudgyOne / March 18, 2005 6:31 PM PST
In reply to: cannot receive email
Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 18, 2005 9:35 PM PST
In reply to: cannot receive email

1. The article [Q259317] describes how to change or add to your existing Internet e-mail account information. To change or add your existing account information, you need the following five items of information and is available only from your Internet service provider (ISP):

a. The name of the incoming Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) server.

Note: AOL uses IMAP so select IMAP from the first drop down box. Enter the "Incoming" server name as imap.aol.com.

b. The name of the outgoing Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) mail server, or the Internet Mail Access Protocol (IMAP) mail server.

Note: The AOL "Outgoing" or "SMTP" server name is smtp.aol.com.

c. Your new e-mail name, account name, and password.

d. The ability to use a Dial-Up Networking connection to your ISP or a local area network (LAN) with access to the Internet.

e. Advanced Internet settings are specified by your ISP

Note: Although most Internet service providers (ISPs) have both POP3 and SMTP, service providers may also provide other servers for these tasks which OE can be configured to use, [Q147388].

2. To troubleshoot incoming mail server communication problems, set the option(s) to create log files:

Warning: These files can become quite large and it may be important to remove an option when troubleshooting is finished. However, my "Pop3.log" has been active only for mail for over a year and is only 1.88mb in size, [Q176548 - and its related links].

a. On the Tools menu, click Options, Maintenance and enter or clear check boxes in the Troubleshooting section, and then close Outlook Express.

b. To locate file(s) created:

(1) In Win98, click the Windows Start menu, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.

(2) In Win2000 or WinME, click the Windows Start menu, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.

(3) In Win XP, click the Windows Start menu, and then click Search.

c. In the text box, enter the log file name (Log files are named by server type and have a .log extension (for example pop3.log, smtp.log). If you don't know the exact name of the log file, type *.log).

d. In the results list, select the POP3.log file found to open and read. Keep those references identified above available which gives steps and a tutoral concerning the file's content.

3. If you want to configure OE to work with a Hotmail account, you must use the methods described in "Q220852 - OLEXP: How to Configure Outlook Express to Use Hotmail Account."

4. The article [Q242165] describes how to remove the Accounts option from the Tools menu so that account information cannot be easily modified.

Note: Since this article describes how the Accounts option may be missing/grayed in the Tools menu, the opposite should be true by editing the system registry to restore it.

a. To start the System Registry Editor, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a backslash in the above key) until reaching the last folder named "Outlook Express". Click it, to bold/highlight.

b. Locate the key No modify accts on the right-hand side of page. Double-click this key and change the DWORD value from "one" (1) to "zero" (0) -- a "one" (1) precludes use of Accounts on the Tools menu in OE.

c. Click Registry in the main menu and select Exit to save the session. Or simply click the x in the URHC of the window to close the Registry Editor tool. Respond with an affirmative to save the editing and to close the editor.

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Use Winipcfg to View TCP/IP Settings (Q141698)."

b. "Troubleshooting Problems Connecting to Mail Servers (Q154578)."

c. "How to Enable and Interpret the Smtp.log File (Q155455)."

d. "How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP/IP Files (Q181599)."

e. "Internet Explorer 5 and Outlook Express 5 Stops Responding or Experiences Performance Issues (Q268113)."

f. "Error Message: Msimn.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows (Q258034)."

g. "Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using Outlook and Outlook Express (Q813514)."

Collapse -
thanks to both
by davedave / March 20, 2005 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Thanks for the help to both - some interesting information! Still couldn't solve the problem, but I can now rule out several possibilities.

It seems like the problem is server related - I cannot ping or successfully use the telnet command with the mailserver I'm trying to contact (but works fine with other mailservers). What I still don't understand is why I can access this mailserver through yahoo?

Collapse -
You can access through Yahoo because...
by Edward ODaniel / March 20, 2005 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: thanks to both

you configured Yahoo to download the mail from your POP account and that POP account likely does not keep a copy so there is nothing there when you check mail.

Disable the POP account in Yahoo and you should again be able to access mail in your mail client.

Alternatively you could simply download and install YahooPOPs (now called YPOPS!) from SourceForge and access all your mail including YAHOO through your favorite email client.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!