Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot reach txu.com

by recueldo / March 18, 2009 1:16 AM PDT

I have a brand new machine Intel QUAD Q6600 2.4Ghz, 3gb ram. Windows XP Pro. No matter what I do this machine will not access txu.com. I have 3 PCs, I laptop, PS3, Wii, PSP all going through the same Linksys router, and AT&T DSL modem and my new machine is the only one that cannot resolve txu.com. From day one it's never accessed the site. I have IE7, Firefox, Safari and none of them can reach txu.com. I've run RegCure and other registry cleaners to no avail. None of my IT colleagues have ever seen this problem before. Every now and then I see a DNS frame error of some kind flash on the lower left screen. I've also run all ipconfig dns commands.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot reach txu.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot reach txu.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hosts.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2009 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Cannot reach txu.com

Since no browsers can access the txu.com site, have a look at your HOSTS file.

HOSTS, (no file extension), is located in the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC" folder and is a file that browsers always check before searching the internet for a url web address. If it finds no related entry in that file, it will then continue on sending a search request through the internet. If it does find an entry, it will redirect to wherever the HOSTS says, usually 127.0.0.1 which is back to your computer.

Open HOSTS by right clicking and selecting Open, then select Notepad. Be sure you do not select the "Always use this application for this type of file" option.

If you find an entry see where it is being redirected to, and delete the entry if need be. If you make any changes and re-save the file, be sure to save it as an All file types, and not as a .txt file.

See if that is the cause. If not, perhaps others here will have better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
Host file txu.com
by recueldo / March 19, 2009 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Hosts.

Mark thanks for your help. But, checking the host file is one of the first things I checked. When pinging the site name it's too many hops away to get a response, but it does resolve to an IP address. The same IP address as my machines that reach the site, or should I say will display the site. I've built many machines over my career. I'm prepared to give up and just use my other machines to use the site. I'm not going to burn it down because of one site. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Cannot reach txu.com
by GrumpyOldMan61 / April 22, 2009 7:29 AM PDT

I had same problem. It started when I installed IPv6 for XP. I removed IPv6 from my system and can again access txu.com.

To remove, open Network Connections, right click on a network connection (ethernet, wireless, etc), and select Properties. On the General tab, scroll down the list of installed components (Client for MS Networks, Internet Protocol, etc) until you see the IPv6 listing. Click once to select/hi-lite, then click on uninstall. This will remove IPv6 from all network interfaces. Reboot your system to complete the process.

I've no idea why IPv6 causes problems with txu.com, but once I removed it from my system I could again access the web site.

Collapse -
Cannot reach txu.com
by jimb553 / May 19, 2009 11:45 PM PDT

thank You GrumpyOldMan61......You were right, once I removed IPv6 as you suggested, I was able to once again access TXU....weird, doesn't make sense but it works and I am greatful....Jim

Collapse -
Can't get to TXU.com
by JakeCyber / July 18, 2009 11:47 AM PDT

I have been having the same problem for many weeks now, but your recommended fix was the one that did the trick!

Thanks "GrumpyOldMan61" again, for posting the information and thanks to CNET for this forum.

Collapse -
You are a genius!
by tcdchameleon / December 28, 2009 9:22 AM PST

I spoke to 8 different tech support staff at TXU and probably a dozen or so at both ATT and Time Warner all of which pointing the finger at the other. I uninstalled this, and bingo fixed it instantly.

Collapse -
Cannot reach txu.com
by seascape195 / October 8, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

Thanks GrumpyOldMan61!! I'm a tech of 20+ years and darn near can resolve almost anything on XP, but this was was kicking my butt. It just didn't make any sense. I ran every scanner I could think of for malware/virus because it was about the only thing left that made any sense as to what might be causing it (though I would have been shocked to find my machine infected, its locked down pretty tight) Happy

This one almost forced me to abandon XP for Win7 (which I plan to do in the very near future anyway, just not looking forward to the OS rebuild and acquiring working W7 versions of softwares I have installed over the years, especially my video & music editing tools).

Thanks again for posting this fix. You the man!

Collapse -
Also cannot reach txu.com
by kuptis / May 12, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

I also have same problem in that I have 2 computers, a Linux box and a Windows XP box, on the same network. The Windows XP box cannot access txu.com with IE or Firefox although can access other websites whereas the Linux box can (with Firefox at least). I've tried the suggestions above and none of them worked.

The Windows XP box was given to me and I've tried hunting for the cause of the problem to no avail. This computer does have Norton Protection Center installed which I suspect is the culprit but so far have found no evidence.

I don't see a DNS frame error but I do know the DNS is being resolved since when I type in "txu" in the URL field "http://www.txu.com/" displays in the same field when the browser shows "Address Not Found".

Collapse -
In your hunt did you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 1:13 AM PDT

Learn to use the NSLOOKUP tool?

If not, look that up and learn more.
Bob

Collapse -
txu not reachable with xp pro and IE8
by sillinear / January 25, 2010 12:55 PM PST

I had this problem and TXU advised me I would have to change my dns and ip address to one they gave me and disable automatic obtain. Don't recall what the one they gave me was, but I was able to use it and access the site. Think I'll try disabling 6 instead.

Collapse -
txu
by sillinear / January 25, 2010 1:14 PM PST

I also removed IPV6 and was able to access txu.

Collapse -
AT&T and TWC correct
by perrylang / August 16, 2010 5:27 PM PDT

TXU looks to be using ether old servers or their techs have no clue on running webservers. I think that their server admin is trying to over protect the server but really opening a much bigger hole.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?