Camcorders forum

Question

"Cannot play back Initialize only using the camcorder"

by SpiritEssenceArt / September 6, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

I have a reconditioned Canon Vixia HF R300 camcorder and am a new user of camcorders in general. I have recorded over an hour of video (I am an artist and was recording for an art tutorial) and suddenly I heard a beep noise and since then I have not been able to play back any recordings that I had on there previously or this current one. I tried uploading it to my computer and got the same message. It also won't let me record anything more.

Obviously there is an error on the SD card (or at least I think there must be. I have only used this card a few times previously, and have bought it very recently. The card I have is a 32 GB high performance card which says will record up to 7 hours of HD video. I had the camera running for 2 hours maximum, and only maybe another hour of recorded sessions on it prior to this session.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you resolve it. I know that if I initialize the card, as it is suggesting, I will lose all the data I recorded there. I am hoping there is a way to recover it.

Thanks - hope someone has some answers!

Arlene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Cannot play back Initialize only using the camcorder"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Cannot play back Initialize only using the camcorder"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
A few clarification questions...
by boya84 / September 6, 2013 11:37 PM PDT

1) From where was the "reconditioned" camcorder purchased?

2) What manufacturer make and model of the memory is the memory card? Where was the card purchased?

3) Usually, on the card, there is a "C" with a number in it. Can you tell us what that number is?

4) When you try to "upload" from the memory card to the computer, is that by connecting the camcorder to the computer or taking the memory card out of the camcorder and inserting it in a card reader connected to the computer? (Side equation, is there - or can there be, a card reader? You may need it).

5) When you do this "upload" are you using some sort of application or merely trying to copy the video files?

6) When you try to playback on the camcorder, is the message on the camcorder or does the camcorder just do nothing?

7) Before using the memory card for the first time in the camcorder, was the memory card initialed in the camcorder?

Cool Have you tried removing and re-inserting the memory card? Have you tried a different memory card?

There may be more questions - Sorry about that.

Collapse -
answers
by SpiritEssenceArt / September 7, 2013 1:09 AM PDT

A FEW questions? LOL. OK. I bought the camera from an Ebay user who had a very high rating. The sd card is PNY 32 GB SD HC "High Performance" card - the number inside the C is 10. I purchased the card from Best Buy. I have tried uploading to my Windows laptop using both by using the usb cable that came with the camera and by inserting the sd card into the slot (the card reader) in the side of the laptop itself. When I try to play back the recording on the camcorder itself, I get the message. I also cannot see even a listing of the recordings on the camcorder.When I do the upload using the cable provided, I am using the software provided by Canon (Transfer Utility) which I had previously installed on the computer.

As for the memory card - yes, it was previously initialized before I used it. In fact I have already uploaded one recording successfully last week to my computer using the Transfer Utility and the cable. Yes - I have removed and re-inserted the card several times. Right now, I only have the 1 memory card so I have not as yet tried using another memory card. That's one of the reasons I am not sure if it is a fault on the card itself or something that is malfunctioning on the camcorder.

All good questions - I hope you can give me some suggestions with all of this information.

Collapse -
hmmmm...
by boya84 / September 7, 2013 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: answers

so far I am leaning in the direction of a camcorder fault (hence the beep - replacement?) causing file corruption on the card (can't play back and cannot see the files on the computer). What version Windows running on which computer? At this point I have already given up on the camcorder and am trying to get the video files from the card to the computer.

I think Bob's recommendation to work to recover the files is right (even though you said you initialized the card in the computer before recording).

Collapse -
other comment...
by boya84 / September 7, 2013 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: answers

I don't shop eBay... was the "highly rated" storefront (the ratings can be faked) a store or individual? The fact that it worked once for you is great, so I don't think you were purposely ripped off, but perhaps as a "reconditioned" unit there's some sort of warranty carried by this "store"? How do you know the camcorder was "reconditioned"?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry to read about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

The recurring advice is to format in the camera to be sure the camera is compatible with the format. Otherwise users tend to report the issue you appear to be writing about here.

Recovery might be possible with RECUVA (see google or the CNET Storage Forum) but the basic method is to recover all files you can and see if any play with VLC PLAYER.

There is no step by step for this and sadly I find many dismiss the format camera advice until it bites them hard.
Bob

Collapse -
Recuva?
by SpiritEssenceArt / September 7, 2013 2:20 AM PDT

Bob - Is this recovery program for files on the computer only or does it also include those on storage cards for the camcorder? (i.e. sd cards)? When I read the description of the recovery software it sounds like it might be meant only for computer files.

I did not realize that initialization needed to be done ON the camera itself. I really don't remember if I did that or not. Should I buy another card, or initialize this one once I have tried to recover files, I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

Arlene

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Recuva?

But it appears you have not done research on RECUVA's use. But in short you should try it on the memory cards and scrap off what files it (and other titles like it) finds then try playing them in VLC PLAYER.

Sorry if I don't write tutorials but only mention the titles and direction to head in. I do that because the web has plenty of tutorials.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?