Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Cannot Paste into Word 2000 from IE, OE, Web Sites, etc.

by NonSuch / December 10, 2003 5:40 AM PST

I have searched the Microsoft knowledge database and have found nothing on this issue. I have also posted this message in a Microsoft Word newsgroup but have, as yet, received no replies.

My OS is Windows XP Home SP1. I am using Word 2000

Pentium 4 3.06 G 1 G RAM 120 G HDD

EZ Trust AV and Firewall
Spybot S & D
Spyware Blaster

All online scans show the system is clean and ports are stealthed.

I have been using Word 2000 for over two years. I have always been able to
copy text from an internet document, web page, or e-mail and then paste it
into a blank document in Word. (This was on my old machine that had a
Windows Me OS).

I recently purchased a new computer and the OS is XP Home SP1. I loaded
Word 2000 on the new machine. Everything works fine except when I attempt
to copy something from a web page or an e-mail and paste it into a blank
Word document the "paste" option is grayed on the menu and will not work.

However, I have found that if I first open an existing Word document and
copy even one line of text, then I can go to the new blank document and the
"paste" option is functional. I can then paste that line of text into the
blank document. Having once done that, I can then go back to the internet
and copy anything at all, return to the new Word document, and now I can
paste the text there.

In other words, if I want to paste anything from the internet or an e-mail
into a new Word 2000 document, I must first paste something into it that
came from an existing Word document (even the current document itself!) or the paste function will not work.

I believe that this has something to do with the interaction between Windows
XP and Word 2000 for two reasons. 1) This never happened when my OS was
Windows Me. 2) Another user is having the exact same problem and has posted a message to the PC Magazine forums. She is also using Windows XP SP1 and Word 2000.

Obviously, this is a work around and not a solution. I would really like
to find a solution.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Paste into Word 2000 from IE, OE, Web Sites, etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Paste into Word 2000 from IE, OE, Web Sites, etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Cannot Paste into Word 2000 from IE, OE, Web Sites, etc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 6:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Cannot Paste into Word 2000 from IE, OE, Web Sites, etc.
by NonSuch / December 10, 2003 8:21 AM PST

Bob, I've tried everything except number 3. That's my last resort. Wink

So, this is obviously something you've seen before. Maybe I should have a look at Open Office.

Thanks.

Collapse -
I wish I could see it again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 10:33 AM PST

But we cured all the ones we found. Cures ran from some virus/trojan/pest to popup stoppers and more. Remember that pasting from a web site can trip up over a firewall rule...

There doesn't appear to be a single cause, and I'm not privy to what you currently have running at the time of the failure... Any clues you provide may spark an idea on what else to check.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:I wish I could see it again.
by NonSuch / December 10, 2003 1:01 PM PST

Actually, it wasn't that the program was working fine on this computer and then failed. I had just installed it on this computer. There was an e-mail that had text that I wanted to insert into a Word document. I could copy the text but could not paste it into the Word document. The e-mail was one that I had sent myself from another machine/location. The web site I tried to copy from as a test was my own home page.

This machine came with Word 2002 pre-installed as part of a Works Suite, with no other Office components. I had been using "Office 2000 Small Business" on my other computer. Because I wanted to continue using Publisher and Excel as well as Word, I opted to first remove Word 2002 from this computer and then install Office 2000 Small Business. Could the problem somehow be related to Word 2002 having previously been on the computer?

Thanks for your help, Bob.

Collapse -
To roll back Office versions I do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2003 11:45 PM PST

To save me finding the URL, just type OFFICE REMOVAL WIZARD into http://www.google.com When going backward in Office versions, I clean off the old office with this tool. Could be why I don't see this issue?

Or it's because we run that five tool set I noted at the Anti-Parasite Suite. It's something, but since we don't have any machine with the issue for about a year, I don't recall any specific cure.

Bob

Collapse -
Robert, thanks for aiming me in the right direction!
by NonSuch / December 11, 2003 3:53 PM PST

Used the Wizard. Still couldn't paste, but I had a feeling we were on the right track and it had to be a program conflict. As it turned out, I also had to remove an interface program that was intended to be a link between Word 2002 and Microsoft Works.

I hadn't paid much attention to Works before this, because it's not something I use. (I know, shame on me! I should have checked it out!) Previous versions I've seen had their own integrated word processing program and didn't seem to cause a problem or conflict with Office. Not so this one. It had no word processing program of its own. However, when I started looking through the various programs on my system, checking for those that might be in conflict with Office 2000, there was this Works program that said it was supposed to interface with Word. So, I figured that since Word 2002 was no longer there, it might somehow be interfering/conflicting with Word 2000. So, I removed it and everything is now working beautifully, "paste" included.

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
cannot paste from IE to word
by abdonada / September 27, 2006 8:15 AM PDT

I tried to copy from IE to word but it doesn't work it works from IE to notepad then from notepad to word.
Can some body help me to resolve this problem

Collapse -
Cannot paste into Word
by jrbmaclachlan / August 16, 2010 10:26 PM PDT

I have found that if I CTRL C on some data and then open Word it will not paste. If however I open word and then go back and do the copy then the paste works fine

Collapse -
Cannot Paste into Word 2000
by GeorgeSydneyO / April 16, 2013 7:55 AM PDT

I have the same problem. Sometimes pasting works, sometimes not.

Collapse -
A decade later. New causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 8:46 AM PDT

1. Skype click to call.
2. Privacy protection settings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.