Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Cannot open or delete strange mhtml document

I have a PC, Windows XP and use IE.

Browsing a folder located in ?my documents?, I came upon a strange icon (box with blue bar on top and six colors inside).
I don?t remember saving the file, or its name, but that?s not abnormal.
The name of the file (a book title) is so long it extends past the white part of the listing area. I know it?s a mhtml doc. because I read that in the ?details? section on the left.

When I highlight the file, it stays blue. I can?t get the bar to get white so I can use the backspace and eliminate words for a backup.

I can?t open it by 2x click or file>open, or ?open with? IE.
Should I try another "open with" option?
I figured I?d delete it.

I can?t delete it with file>delete.
I can?t delete it by drag and drop to trash.
I tried ?send to? and chose ?floppy? to get rid of it and that didn?t work.
I tried to drag and drop it into a new folder, and then tried edit>move to new folder (so I could drag and drop the folder to trash). It wouldn?t move out of the original folder in either case.

The mhtml is a foreign extension to me. How do I get rid of this thing??? It?s stuck like glue on my hard drive.

I'd like to ask that any answers assume I hardly know anything about the workings of a computer.

Thank you for any help with this. I'm so stumped! Zippy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot open or delete strange mhtml document
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot open or delete strange mhtml document
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cannot open or delete strange mhtml document -added info

In reply to: Cannot open or delete strange mhtml document

I looked more closely at the icon. It has only two colors inside the box.

I tried edit> "move to folder", but it wouldn't move to a new folder within the original sub folder, or up to a new folder directly under the "my documents" heading.

I can't "rename" it (to shorten the name of the folder).

Thank you again. Zipppy

Collapse -
Suggestion.

In reply to: Cannot open or delete strange mhtml document -added info

It'd be better to try and open it in notepad.

Apart from that, do a virus/spware scan on it. If it's not spyware then I'm afraid I can't help you.

Collapse -
Oh No!

In reply to: Suggestion.

Thanks for the reply. What if it is a virus (so much for Norton)? Wouldn't it be best if I didn't open it?
Thanks, Zippy

Collapse -
Possibly

In reply to: Oh No!

Though that document might not be lethal at all, it's best to leave it.

You could however try and run your computer in safe mode and delete it.

Thanks,

Mad.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Possibly

Hi Mad,
The file seems to be the title of a book (go figure), so it doesn't seem something I'd miss and I'd feel better with it gone.

Computer in safe mode? That's a new procedure to me. I'm going to google how to do it and hope that works. Thanks greatly for the idea!!!
Zippy

Collapse -
Nice.

In reply to: Thank you

Tell me how it went once you've done that.

Regards,

Mad.

Collapse -
I solved the problem

In reply to: Nice.

I checked out "booting to safe mode" via google and got some good directions I've bookmarked for the future, but before I tried to delete via that method I got another idea a short while ago. I couldn't move/delete the MHTML file from its folder, so I moved everything else from that folder to a new one and clicked file>delete for the now almost empty folder. I got a message that the filename was too long to put into the trash, and questioned if I wanted to delete the file anyway. I chose "yes" and held my breath. The folder with the satanic MHTML file went into the trash which I emptied right away. Problem solved finally!

I do appreciate your help though. I've copied all cnet advice to Word in case I get stuck again. Zippy

Collapse -
It is not a good idea to post the same post on multiple ...

Collapse -
I'm sorry about that

In reply to: It is not a good idea to post the same post on multiple ...

I've never done that before. I began to wonder if this problem was in the correct forum. It began to seem beyond newbie problems. I won't post twice again. Zippy

Collapse -
have you tried

The command window has a delete command
del <drive letter>\<all the stuff in between>\file to delete>
example
del C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\example.txt

Collapse -
Future reference

In reply to: have you tried

To Pithenumber,
I wasn't aware I could do that. Even if I had been, the name of the file was longer than the page and I wasn't quite sure if the "details" section included all its words for me to rewrite them correctly for the command.

I don't think I've made it clear that once highlighted the filename remained stuck in that mode. It wouldn't respond to another mouse click in order for me to use the cursor to move down its length or edit it. It was the stubbornest situation.

I honestly hope I never have to use them, but I've saved the directions to Word. Thank you for your time. Hopefully more than myself will benefit from your concise info. Zippy

Collapse -
Glad that it works.

In reply to: Future reference

Thanks.

Mad.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.