Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Cannot Open Attachments after Saving

I have W98 2nd,IE, Outlook Express & Norton AV 2004. I uninstalled NAV 2002, and installed the 2004 edition. The computer wouldn't respond properly, so I removed the Ad-Aware program, then all seemed okay with one exception. Now I cannot open Document attachments to e-mails although Zipped attachments open properly.
Two message boxes appear:
(1)"Some Files contain viruses...what would you like to do?", with options to Open or Save to Disk. Choosing Open does not work. Save to Disk sends the attachment to the disk, but doesn't allow it to open there either. I get the same message all over again.

(2) Then a second box appears "File Download: Some files can harm your computer, etc." offers Open or Save. Again Open doesn't work and a Save to "My Documents folder" does send the attachment there, but again it won't open. A Quick View opens them but I can't get them out of that box or print them.

For each spyware program I previously had (SpyBot, then Ad-Aware), all document icons got changed to suit their program. The icons for my document files are now small blue E's. Could Norton 04 have changed them to the IE icon? Norton's technical support website is a nightmare for inexperienced computer users to find the answer.
How can I open these documents please, preferably right from the e-mail paper clip attachment if possible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Open Attachments after Saving
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Open Attachments after Saving
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few questions and experiments.

In reply to: Cannot Open Attachments after Saving

Zip-files are OK. What files aren't (exe, doc, jpg, mp3, txt, you name it)?

Send such a file as an attachtment to yourself. Then save it from Sent Files, and save it from Received Files. Set Explorer to show ALL file extensions, and compare full filename and size (in bytes) of the original and both saved versions.

Disable Norton and repeat the above procedure.

Report on your findings. And can you explain why you replaced a good working Norton 2002 by Norton 2004? Is it feasible to go back?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: A few questions and experiments.

In reply to: A few questions and experiments.

You are talking to a DUMMY here Kees. Opening DOCUMENT files are my problem today. I opened Windows Explorer to find the SHOW ALL FILE EXTENSIONS, couldn't find those words specifically. I unchecked "Do Not Show hidden or System Files", and unchecked "Hide file ext. for known file types". Where do I find the ALL file extensions you recommend?
I tried the experiments, but for each attachment I sent, I right-clicked them. On Properties of each attachment only the sizes came up, but no file extensions. Where should I be looking for the extension name?

One thing I did notice (with and without Norton disabled) - Before attaching/sending a document I checked its size. It was 1.09 MB but when it appeared on the Send to myself e-mail, the attachment size was shown as only 838KB.

When I opened everything Saved as you suggested, they all came out 1.09 MB (1,144,320 bytes) 1,146,880 bytes used.

I changed to Norton 2004 on the recommendation of a computer technician who said it was better and it had an extra feature of finding THREATS when you did a full scan. I do have my 2002 CD, but it was registered at a different house address; I've moved so 2004 is now at the new address. I can't find somewhere on the Symantec website to simply ask this question. If I uninstall 2004 and reinstall 2002, I will have to pay a Renewal fee right?

What do you suggest?

Collapse -
Re: A few questions and experiments.

In reply to: Re: A few questions and experiments.

unchecked "Hide file ext. for known file types".
That was exactly what I meant. Well done. Great. You understood the meaning of what I wrote, which is much better than only being able to follow it to the letter. Continue, and you'll be newbie off in no-time.

Which this setting unchecked, you'll see that all files have their extension shown in Explorer (and as far as I know also in Outlook Express, but you might have to restart the program for that to happen).

So you should have three files, all the same size and all having a doc extension, like:
- original.doc
- sent.doc (saved as, from Sent Items)
- sent_and_received.doc (saved as, from Inbox)

And now you're telling that original.doc can be opened with Word, and other files (with the same extension, and the same size) can't? Or did I understand you wrong?
That's strange indeed. I wouldn't recommend a newbie to compare the files with the MS-DOS fc utility, but they should be identical.

I can't advise you on Norton, 2002 nor 2004. Grif, below, is much better on that subject (as on most), so do study his post.

But, if you've got problems with Norton Antivirus which can't be remedied by changing some settings, consider uninstalling both 2002 and 2004, and switching to free AVG from www.grisoft.com. It's generally recommended in these forums, and I don't have any problem with it with Windows 98 (and even 95). Experiences with Norton on this forum are mixed, without obvious reasons, I'm afraid.
Your friend the computer tech might not agree with the above, but then let him solve the Norton problem for you (for free, of course, or just a few cups of coffee). That's a fair deal, isn't it?

Hope this helps.

Kees
Collapse -
Re: Questions, experiments and Thoughts

In reply to: Re: A few questions and experiments.

Thanks for the support. KEES: Sorry I wasn't clear,but NONE of the test attachment files would open. Their Properties pages ALL read the same: DOC file; Location C:\My Document, plus all had the same number of bytes except when the message I "sent to myself" showed lower kbs in the Attachment Name line. And only DOC files have their icons changed to those pesky blue e's. What is strange. too, is that all documents in my Wordpad folders also have little blue e's now, but they open just fine!

GIF: I followed your instructions slowly and closely. Outlook Express options were okay. I couldn't see anything checked in Norton 2004 Preferences that (to me) suggested the messages would be read as text.
I uninstalled 2002 with the RNAV2003.exe utility, then uninstalled and reinstalled 2004. Nothing changed except IE and my home page Google take much longer to open. I am on high speed. I sometimes now get a message saying "that Page cannot be opened", with DNS error mentioned at the bottom (forget the words).

I've reinstalled 2002 for the time being. Is there any way I can get those files changed from HTML to regular text, even if I have to do them one by one?

Collapse -
Lillian, Reassociating DOC Files....

In reply to: Re: Questions, experiments and Thoughts

If the files which now have blue "e's" as an icon actually have a .doc file extension, then we need to know whether you have Microsoft Word installed on the computer. If you do, the files can be reassociated back to a Word document like this: Go to the file in question, then while holding down the "shift" key, RIGHT click on the file, choose "Open With" from the menu. When the "Open With" box loads, place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Always use this program to open this file type", then scroll to and double click on the "Winword.exe" listing. The icon should change back to the Word document type and all .doc files should open correctly using Microsoft Word as the opener.

If you don't have Microsoft Word installed on the computer, then you have a couple of options. You can reassociate those files to a text file opener like Notepad or Wordpad using the same instructions above,,(although they won't display exactly correct) or you can install a program which opens .doc files, such as Microsoft Word/Office, OpenOffice, or download and install the free Word viewer at the link below:

Word 97/2000 Viewer (Windows 95/98/NT/2000)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Lillian, Reassociating DOC Files....

In reply to: Lillian, Reassociating DOC Files....

Thanks to GRIF and KEES, the geniuses at CNet!. Norton 2004 must have removed my MS97 Word Viewer. I had forgotten it,and it wasn't on my program list. Their little green glasses were the icons I had lost. But I am not reinstalling Norton 2004. My mistake for not checking CNet forums first.

GRIF, I'm sorry I made you a "GIF" yesterday.

Smiling Now!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Lillian, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !

In reply to: Re: Lillian, Reassociating DOC Files....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Agreed!

In reply to: (NT) Lillian, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !

Collapse -
Lillian, Just A Thought...

In reply to: Cannot Open Attachments after Saving

It appears like Norton or Outlook Express are changing all of your attachments to HTML files (the files with the blue "e's"). It may be the result of the new Norton, or possible changes in Outlook Express.

Please try this:

Open Outlook Express, then click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Options". When that opens, click on the "Security" tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Do not allow attachments to saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". Now click on the "Read" tab and UNCHECK the box that says: "Read all messages in plain text". If you've made any changes, then click on "apply", then OK.

If that doesn't get it done, then you might need to check the preferences in Norton 2004 as they may be causing messages to be automatically read as text instead of showing the standard attachments.

Like Kees mentions above, I also think that Norton 2004 may be a little resource intensive for most older Windows 98 machines. Although some run it just fine, others aren't able to do so. Another option that can help with a good install of Norton 2004 is to make sure that you complete, and manually uninstall the previous version. Sometimes the standard "Add/Remove Programs" method of uninstalling doesn't clean out all the remnants and therefore the new install doesn't work correctly. You might try using the links below to completely uninstall BOTH 2002 and 2004, then clean out the Temporary Internet Files folder, the run Scandisk and Defrag, then reinstall NAV 2004 if you choose to do so:

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002/2003 (Make sure to use the RNAV20003.exe removal tool)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001061911223206

How to completely remove Norton AntiVirus 2004 and then reinstall the program
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/9f87b423fda7cebe88256d97007bcdd0?OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Lillian, Just A Thought...

In reply to: Lillian, Just A Thought...

Thank you Grif. I will try your suggestions and let you know what happens....if I am still alive at the end of the day (smile).

Collapse -
Here is another option

In reply to: Re: Lillian, Just A Thought...

download and use a non-microsoft browser/email client such as Opera or Mozilla and stop struggling with IE and Outlook. Also get rid of Norton which has been trash ever since Symantec bought it and cut its namesake Peter Norton out of the loop.

I am sure there are those who will not agree with above. However I have found that using something which works beats trying to fix inferior software.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.