Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cannot make backup disc

have windows me when i try to make a backup disk it says:the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found
also under add remove programs i unchecked a few things i wasnt using when i went to go recheck them it says file not found for everything how can i fix this i also must tell you i do not have a windows me disk it was installed by someone else so i have no disk what can i do to try to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot make backup disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot make backup disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No cure here.

In reply to: cannot make backup disc

I will share that when I need a boot diskette I just head to http://www.bootdisk.com and fetch the one I want and run the .exe that creates it.

I will not offer support on how to fix Windows ME bug in this area.

Since you did write "i also must tell you i do not have a windows me disk it was installed by someone else so i have no disk" I must also share you won't be running this OS much longer as you have no right to the os PLUS you have no way to repair it.

-> Plan your exit strategy today and keep what you can't lose on a copy off that machine on attached hard disks.

Bob

Collapse -
RE:NO RIGHT?

In reply to: No cure here.

what do you mean i have no right to be using this? i bought this computer.

Collapse -
It's a common problem.

In reply to: RE:NO RIGHT?

Too many machines out there come with an OS that someone loads up an OS but is not a licensed copy. Later the owner fumes when they find out they were had.

With what you've written, I can't tell if you were had or not. But it's happens far too often.

I'd make plans now to secure your files before you have to seek emergency support.

Bob

Collapse -
disc

In reply to: It's a common problem.

so i should call the person i got bought it from who owns the business and tell him i want the disc? also i went to the website im unsure which to download or do i need them all?

Collapse -
disk

In reply to: disc

once i do get a boot up disc or the original what is my next step?

Collapse -
Remember.

In reply to: disk

I don't offer any fix of this Windows ME anomaly. I only share that I don't need to make it work since the same disk can be created from "DOS/Windows9X/Me/NT/2K/XP" boot disks at the site. The next link is marked "Windows Me OEM" and does fine.

As to having no licensed Windows ME, that's a widespread issue. Here's the problems.

1. Without the CD, minor repairs are not possible.
2. Without the CD or authentic Microsoft stickers, it's just another rip off of the OS and you can report them to Microsoft at piracy@microsoft.com to let them shut them down.
3. This is a very old OS with other issues. This one is easy to step around (boot diskettes) so step around it and carry on.
4. And finally the backup. Many only learn lessons about backup first hand. It doesn't have to be painful.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.