Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cannot mail word excel docs without outlook open

by devwink / January 13, 2009 6:50 PM PST

My customer assures me that they could send excel/word docs without opening outlook.

Even on my p.c. docs stay in outbox until outlook is opened.

Is there a way that they may have been able to do this?

thanks in advance for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot mail word excel docs without outlook open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot mail word excel docs without outlook open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How are you trying to send these?
by Slikkster / January 13, 2009 9:00 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the reply , sending as attachments
by devwink / January 14, 2009 2:10 PM PST

All works well but they seem to be kept in outbox until outlook is opened, then they start sending , and send o.k.

Tried that again, sends o.k. (to outbox) and only starts transmitting when outlook is opened.

The customer seems to think they could send without
outlook open..

thanks for the link

Cheers

Collapse -
In that case,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 8:13 PM PST

see if there is a setting in Outlook, either in Account Settings or Options, that says send mail immediately, or similar.

I can't say if there is such a setting as I don't use Outlook myself, but perhaps you can find something that may suit.

Mark

Collapse -
Re :send immediatly
by devwink / January 15, 2009 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: In that case,

Thanks Mark,

nothing there of that nature , send immediatly when connected is checked, as on my own, still no good
thanks for your suggestions
Dave

Collapse -
What exactly is the process you're undertaking?
by Slikkster / January 15, 2009 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re :send immediatly

Step by step, if you will. Are you trying to send documents/workbooks from inside their respective programs (Word/Excel), or are you right-clicking on the file names in Windows Explorer and using "Send To" Mail Recipient?

Are you on an Exchange Server? Is this a home pc issue or one at work on Exchange?

What version of Outlook is this, and it is Outlook and not Outlook Express, correct?

Collapse -
microsoft office outlook 2003
by devwink / January 15, 2009 2:00 PM PST

Thank you for your help.

Both systems have office outlook 2003
both are not using echange.
(basically just stand alone p.c.'s

I am using "send to" mail recipent from within excel
and all works o.k. except the fact that outlook must be open , at this point the mail is in the outbox and starts transmitting..

I thought this was normal but my customer assures me that they were able to send this way without outlook open

thanks again for your help

Collapse -
Whew...this wasn't easy to find...
by Slikkster / January 15, 2009 9:13 PM PST

I have no way of testing this *fix*, but it appears to be a fix for exactly the problem you are having. It does involve a registry edit --actually DELETING a particular registry key. So, set a Restore Point before doing the registry edit/deletion, and/or export the current key you see noted in this fix and save it as a file so you can go back to it if need be. The System Restore point should be all you need, though.

OK, here's the fix. It's outlined in this blog:

http://ivdesk.wordpress.com/2008/07/

To be absolutely clear, you are only going to delete the key labeled "StrictAccountOrder", not the entire path to that key!

If you're a little hesitant to go forward or want more info from the person who came up or posted with this fix, why not contact him by email?

So he doesn't get a lot of spam from spambots, here's a funky way of telling you his email.

His company is "ivdesk.com".

His first name is Bill and last name plainly clear from his username.

His username is "bsorenson"

There's an "@" symbol between his username and his company name. Get it?

I've found several public postings of his email address, so I'm assuming this is not an issue.

Collapse -
Thank you Slikkster
by devwink / January 16, 2009 7:30 AM PST

I need to attend to check this and i'll let all know how it goes,

Just on that note, It's great that people can help, I too will pass assistance to others, I use linux forums as well and have never not been able to fix something.

Again to all ... thanks a Heap!

Collapse -
Glad to help, but please post whether it worked
by Slikkster / January 16, 2009 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Slikkster

These forums are only good if people follow through with what has worked, what hasn't, and even if they got a fix elsewhere. So please do post whether this worked for you. Good luck!

Collapse -
Have you seen CNET's Linux Forum?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you Slikkster
Collapse -
Thanks Mark, I'm a linux newbee but I'll check it out...
by devwink / January 17, 2009 7:19 PM PST

Thanks again for the link! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!