Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Cannot logon after video card failure. HELP ME !!

by techie / June 29, 2004 5:33 PM PDT

Hi could someone please help me urgently? My graphics card has stopped working so i bought a new one. It is installed properly but when i start up my computer and it tries to go to the logon screen a blue screen with some writing comes up but i cant read it cuz the computer restarts. Please help me. I have all my files on my account which will be deleted if i reinstall xp. Thanks so much in advance for ur help. You can contact me at halloffaye@yahoo.com or post a reply to this message.
Yours Sincerely,
Brent

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot logon after video card failure. HELP ME !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot logon after video card failure. HELP ME !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cannot logon after video card failure. HELP ME !!
by Rob / June 29, 2004 5:38 PM PDT

That can be a problem, I'm guessing you have windows xp. Restart your computer, then continuously press f8 to get to the boot menu and start the computer in safe mode.Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under ?Startup & Recovery,? click Settings. Under ?System Failure,? uncheck the box in front of ?Automatically restart.? The computer should be able to come up in normal mode, but you may have to fix any problem you may still have with your video card.

Collapse -
by techie / June 29, 2004 10:05 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply "the guy". Here's the thing i cant even get to safe mode when i try to get to it i get the same problem as when i am booting normally. Any other suggestions? Oh and yes it is Windows Xp i am using.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 29, 2004 11:01 PM PDT

XP includes several features to ensure that a computer and the applications and devices installed work correctly. These features help solve problems resulting from adding, deleting, or replacing files that an operating system, applications, and devices require in order to function. Most of these features are available on all three versions. The recovery feature or features used depends on the type of problem or failure encountered. Please read the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) article, subject "Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console (Q314058)."

a. Device Driver Roll Back [Q306546] - used when a device driver has been recently updated and cause system unstability (other than a printer driver). It restores all system and application settings back to those that were in effect at a point in time being specified by the user. Affects no other files or settings. Printer drivers cannot be restored using it, (See: "Steps to Manually Remove and Reinstall a Printer Driver (Q135406)").

b. Disable the Device [Q244601] - used when installing and the specific hardware devices causes problems. (Control Panel, Device Manage, "the device" and check the Disable Device in Properties).

c. Last Known Good [Q307852] - used when suspecting that a change made before restarting the computer is causing it to fail. It restores the registry settings and drivers that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully.

d. Safe Mode and System Restore [Q315222] - used when the system still works. It uses only basic files and drivers (mouse, except serial mice; monitor; keyboard; mass storage; base video; default system services; and no network connections). Then use System Restore to restore all system and application settings back to those that were in effect at a time when the system was working optimally.

e. System Restore [Q304449] - used when device drivers have recently been updated using Device Driver Roll Back did not restore stability. It restores all system and application settings back to those that were in effect at a point in time being specified by the user. Affects no other files or settings.

f. Recovery Console [Q307654] - used when restarting the computer with the installation CD and when prompted during the text-mode setup, the Recovery Console is started by pressing R. It starts, using only basic files and drivers (mouse, except serial mice; monitor; keyboard; mass storage; base video; default system services; and no network connections).

Collapse -
Techie, You Mention That The Card Is 'Installed Properly'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 1:51 AM PDT

Brent,

Please describe how you installed the graphics card.... or did a computer shop do it for you?

Did you install the software FIRST before putting in the new card so it could be correctly recognized when Windows restarts?

In addition, have you tried pulling the card out and reseating it, or maybe even putting the old card back in to see if it works?

Which make and model is the new card?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by techie / July 1, 2004 3:26 PM PDT

Thanks everyone for your responses. I tried all without succes so i ended up installing xp on a 2nd partition that i normally use to keep large setup files. When i got to that i realized that i could u se the backup utility in xp to get the data off the pwd protectd account and restore it to another part of the drive. After that i just reinstalled xp but i have to format the partition very soon cuz the accout i cannot access still contains all my files and as a result is taking up a lot of space. But needless to say i have learned my lesson "kess" i will always continuously back up my data in the event something like this happenes again. Thanks so much again everyone and god bless.
Brent

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.