Question

Cannot log onto WPA2 netowrk with Windows XP SP 3

Hi

I did a reinstall of Win XP and used a wired connection to download all the needed patches and updates. I have a D Link Airplus X Treme Card and a (new) DIR 601 router.

I cannot get the computer to log onto the network.

I have loaded SP3 and other patches that were advocated on various networking fora. I can "see" my network listed but it just tries over and over to connect and then dies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Cannot log onto WPA2 netowrk with Windows XP SP 3
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cannot log onto WPA2 netowrk with Windows XP SP 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
XP would do that.

The install involves XP SP3, the patches, drivers and more which is a bit hard for folk to GUESS what drivers. Did the maker supply CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS as you read at 7726-7587_102-2699006.html
??
Bob

- Collapse -
No Dice

Thank you

I do not have an HP machine. It is an old Prostar machine that I bought in 2003. Yes it still works! (but for the wireless networking)

- Collapse -
I supplied an EXAMPLE.

Of the clear instructions required. By your reply I have to think you need the maker to supply these instructions.
Bob

- Collapse -
Our Fix Here Is To Install A New Wireless Adapter...

The primary issue on older computers is the wireless adapter does not support WPA2, and sometimes, they don't even support WPA.. So, you can try by visiting the wireless adapter manufacturer's website and see if you can update the driver for the adapter, but on older adapters, that still may not fix the base cause..

Purchasing a new USB wireless adapter with WPA2 support is cheap and easy. Disable the old one in Device Manager, install the new and you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Worked before

That is an interesting perspective....

I had had a local computer shop "tune up" my computer before I installed the new router and the connection worked fine.

I guess I lost the updated drivers with my reinstall.

I shall try to find updated drivers at the D-Link site....

Thank you

MK

- Collapse -
Then Find The Correct Driver...

...and as long as the onboard wireless adapter hasn't gone south, it should work.. Unless the adapter has died.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Can "see" networks

Thank you Grif

Would I be able to see the wireless networks in and around the house if the adapter was dead. By the way it is a D-Link Airplus X treme 650G.

Thanks

- Collapse -
"Maybe"

While the driver situation appears to be neverending where folk forget to install the motherboard chipset package before the other drivers and then wonder, this OS never resolved the issues of drivers (same for Vista and 7) so I'm unsure how folk will handle this when something is amiss or fails.

I will share that I pencil down the install plan for drivers so that I have it handy and can adjust it as needed. Many folk don't have that plan and odd things happen.

And some folk won't carry a spare wifi device to test if it's just another failed internal card.

Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) "Seeing" and Working Correctly Are Two Different Things

CNET Forums