General discussion

cannot log onto laptop, XP

Hi Bob, I get "The system cannot log you on now because the domain ...... is not available. I am trying to log onto my laptop to then connect via vpn. It wont let me log on to the laptop. I read your post about "broken vpn" however, I can use a different user name, same domain name, and it lets me log onto the laptop. I can then use the vpn connection. My IT department has no answer except to fly to corporat and do a LAN connection. My user name gets activated and deactivated depending on my need to connect to corporate. I do consulting for them. I have not seen any problem reported on the forum that shows the lack of bbeing able to log onto the laptop. Thanks for your help in advance. I am using XP with all updates installed.

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to remove email address for privacy reasons on 10/16/2010 on 8:02 PM PT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: cannot log onto laptop, XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: cannot log onto laptop, XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a thought.

This reeks of an issue we had years ago. Microsoft was called in and their solution was to create a new user account on the server for that user. At no time did they try to find the cause or fix that user's account. Go figure.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just a thought. - New!

Looks like a trip back to corporate where I will connect to the LAN. Being connected to the DOMAIN seems to be the solution. I will find out in November.

CNET Forums

Forum Info