Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

cannot load youtube

hello,

i am using my dad's laptop and youtube just won't load on it. everything else does except youtube. i get an error message saying network timeout or sumthin like that.

any help? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot load youtube
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot load youtube
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hosts file and scan

In reply to: cannot load youtube

Hi,

Please try to this:
Click Start then type NOTEPAD c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS in run box. Hit enter in your keyboard.
The hosts file's content will be displayed in notepad. Copy all the information then post it in your next reply.

Please scan your system using any of this program:
1. SUPERAntispyware http://www.download.com/SUPERAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html
2. A2 Free http://www.download.com/A-squared-Free/3000-2239_4-10262215.html
3. Malwarebytes Antimalware http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

NOTE: Update the programs before running a quick scan. If any scanner failed to run, please rename the program's executable by going to its directory e.g. mbam.exe rename to yourscannertoday.exe

By the way, what browsers your dad got in his laptop? Have you tried using another browser e.g. Firefox, Opera, to see if the outcome is the same?

Collapse -
mozilla firefox

In reply to: Hosts file and scan

my dad has mozilla firefox... youtube does not load on firefox but i just tried IE and it works fine on IE.

ran a quick scan for MBAM, it came up with 5 infected files.. trojan and adware.. removed them! but still not working..

running an SAS scan right now.. still not finished scanning!

also, totally out of the context, i was wondering if you would have any idea why mozilla firefox does not work on mine. i tried everything on mozilla firefox website.. but it just does not load any webpage on my laptop. my laptop's pretty new.. only a few months old. it used to work fine for the first month or so but one day.. it suddenly stopped working. i use IE right now.. everything works fine.. but it's just mozilla does not.. i've asked for help everywhere but failed to get any.

it's okay.. if you're not sure. i was just wondering!

just so you kno.. i've done all the scans... MBAM, SAS, bitdefender, one live care online scan...but nothing's worked. i dunno wut's wrong wit it!

cheers!

Collapse -
Is this happening even if...

In reply to: mozilla firefox

you will try using the Firefox Safe Mode? Just try it by clicking Start>all programs or programs>Mozilla Firefox> then choose Firefox (Safe Mode)

Please reboot the system after MBAM deleted trojans and adware. Run the quick scan again using MBAM.

>>>also, totally out of the context, i was wondering if you would have any idea why mozilla firefox does not work on mine. i tried everything on mozilla firefox website.. but it just does not load any webpage on my laptop. my laptop's pretty new.. only a few months old. it used to work fine for the first month or so but one day.. it suddenly stopped working. i use IE right now.. everything works fine.. but it's just mozilla does not.. i've asked for help everywhere but failed to get any.

You can also try using Firefox Safe mode to determine if it's firefox or any of its add-on related issue.

Collapse -
mozilla firefox

In reply to: Is this happening even if...

omg.. mozilla firefox works (on my laptop that is)... when i opened it in safemode it's working!

but i'm not sure.. wut does this mean?

Collapse -
It means Firefox

In reply to: mozilla firefox

is in the troubleshooting mode. You can use this mode to reset to default.

If you have add-ons for FF, try to disable or remove them and see if that is the caused of the problem.

If no or not the add-ons, you should try to reinstall Firefox.

More info on FF Safe Mode at http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode

Collapse -
firefox

In reply to: It means Firefox

omg.. wonderful! my mozilla's working trouble-free... Grin u're a genius! thanks again!

about my dad's laptop .. right now youtube's working fine on IE.. but i'll keep u updated about mozilla. my mum's using it right now.. so not much i can do with it.. but as soon as i can get my hands on it, i'll try to do everything u've asked me to do..!

cheers for the help again! u're a star Wink

Collapse -
Good work!

In reply to: firefox

Yes, At your dad's laptop... let MBAM re-scan the laptop (hope no more trojan/adware) then fix firefox by resetting thru safe mode or re-install it.

You're welcome. Glad we can help Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.