Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot load kbdus.dll

by phantazy / January 4, 2005 9:22 PM PST

Trying to access a crashed windows XP on a secondary disc, I tried the Recovery Console on C Drive in order to obtain System Restore on E drive, to be told that 'kbdus.dll could not be loaded - Shutdown or restart computer' Could anyone advise on this? Thanks in anticipation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot load kbdus.dll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot load kbdus.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cannot load kbdus.dll
by Cetin Denislam / January 4, 2005 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: Cannot load kbdus.dll

Check out the following MSKB article that applies for windows XP too:

Q239722 - "Error Message: Setup Cannot Load the Keyboard Layout File Kbdus.dll"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
kbdus.dll
by phantazy / January 5, 2005 10:24 PM PST

Thank you Cetin, this was most helpful.

Collapse -
You are welcome Paul and *Good Luck* ... [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / January 6, 2005 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: kbdus.dll

Collapse -
Too much partitions ?
by SylentStar / January 4, 2005 10:27 PM PST

If you find no solution...

Try to power off one of your hard drive to reduce the total number of existing partitions on your system. When done, restart your machine with both drives.

Happy

Collapse -
kbdus.dll
by phantazy / January 5, 2005 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Too much partitions ?

Thank you SylentStar, I will try your suggestion. I am slightly unsure why XP has caused this problem, because I have only two hard drives, with one partition each, still, not to reason why . . .

Collapse -
Oh!
by SylentStar / January 5, 2005 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: kbdus.dll

You wrote: two hard drives, with one partition each

Maybe my suggestion is not valid then...

Mischief

Collapse -
Too many partitions
by bryang2k3 / March 11, 2010 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: Too much partitions ?

That took care of my problem. I had too many partitions. I took all the hard drives offline and installed to he one and it finally worked.

Everything I read talked about the drive being locked so I tried all 4 drives on the machine and then deleted all the partitions on the HDD I'm trying to install to and nothing, then I took the other HDD's offline and finally I'm installing. Still don't know why I have no mouse.........

Collapse -
Receiving the Same Error Message
by hdovrhls / February 4, 2005 12:07 AM PST

I am receiving the same error message as the one you got...just curious to know if you have resolved this issue, and if you have, how did you fix it? I am a novice to this kind of stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200. I have been working with Dell technicians for over a week now trying to get it fixed and they can't figure it out. We have reconfigured the entire system and are now just attempting to download Windows XP Professional 2002 on the system. I put the CD in and it brings up Windows Setup then runs through the process,then goes to: Setup is now starting windows. This is when I get the error message: Set Up cannot load the keyboard layout file KBDUS.DLL Shutdown or restart your computer.

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Did you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2005 12:15 AM PST
Collapse -
No I didn't
by hdovrhls / February 4, 2005 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Did you?

I actually have no idea what I am doing. I can get around a computer but that is about it when it comes to my expertise. That is why I called Dell to see if they could help me fix it. They haven't been able to correct the problem, so I figured I would come online and see if I couldn't find some help from people that have had the same problem.

I appreicate the link you gave me. I have printed a copy of it. Now my only issue is I have no idea how to do what is is saying....here are the directions:

If you are performing a new installation, take the drive to another computer and set the appropriate permissions (Recovery Console cannot set ACLs on the volume). Because this takes place on a different computer, Microsoft recommends giving the Everyone group Full Control permissions on the root folder.

Would you know how to do that or where I can get instructions?

Collapse -
Have Dell walk you through it or...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2005 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: No I didn't

Use XP's installer to delete the bum install/partition and start fresh.

If you have said drive on something other than the IDE PRIMARY connector as MASTER, I think that could be very important.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by hdovrhls / February 4, 2005 3:43 AM PST

Okay you said my options are to have dell walk me through it or to use XP's installer to delete the bum install/partition and start fresh.

I no longer have an operating system on my computer...that was erased during the process of Dell helping me. So with that information I am assuming that I cannot delete the bum install/partition and start fresh. Is that right?

If so, then I am assuming it would be best to call dell and give them the document you sent me and have them walk me through it?

As for the drive I do know it is set on the IDE Primary...they walked me through the boot sequence so many times that I think I could do that in my sleep now. Happy

(Boy I wish you worked for Dell...I think you know more than their techs!)

Thank you very much for your help!!!!

Collapse -
Hmm...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2005 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

You'll need the XP CD to make this happen. But to delete the failed OS partition there is a TOOL from http://www.bootdisk.com called DELPART.EXE if you don't have the XP CD.

While that can delete the bum OS partition (warning, power tool!), without the XP CD how would you install XP?

Bob

PS. Hopefully I give you some idea to work on, but my bet is the ACL permissions issue.

Collapse -
Thanks again
by hdovrhls / February 6, 2005 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm...

Well this definitely gives some ideas to work from. I do have an XP CD I just can't load it. It goes through the set up and then gives me that error. I really appreciate your help on this! I will just see what I can do from here.

Thanks!

Collapse -
See Thank you Message..
by hdovrhls / February 4, 2005 3:52 AM PST

Sorry still had some questions wrote them under the Thank you Message. Thanks again for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?