Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot load correct drivers for CDRW/DVD combo drive

by hankbates / October 30, 2004 4:52 AM PDT

I am running two laptops, NEC versa LX 400, 512mb, XPSP2, Nero 5.5, INCd 3.5. I recently purchased a QSI SBW-241 (writes CD's at 24x max)which runs perfectly well in both computers after I regressed from InCD 4 to 3.5.

It was not without its glitches, however. Although both computers are essentially identical, they have responded differently to the drive.

The first is running without any problems, but only after removal of InCD4 and its replacement by InCD3.5. InCD4 did not recognize the eject action, so if I were to write to a CD-RW and then try to copy in Nero, Nero would not start, and tell me that the drive was already in use by InCD. Perhaps a reinstall of InCD4 would also have corrected this, also.

The second works fine with either 3.5 or 4 InCD, but launches the Found new Hardware wizard each time it starts, and the wizard will remove the drivers if allowed to proceed. Canceling the wizard allows normal operation.

A review of driver details in each computer shows them to be virtually similar in both, but one file, storprop.dll listed in the first is not shown in the second.
These driver files, all 5,
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\
bsstor.sys
cdrom.sys
imapi.sys
redbook.sys
C:\Windows\system32\storprop.dll
are also present when I remove the SbW-241 and install an older CDRW drive, Matsushita ujda 310L, (writes CD's at max 4x) in the second computer. (I have also run the 310L in the first computer).

What is happening? Should I just be happy with the fact that it does run in both and put up with the Wizard running amuk? I am actually amazed that this combination works at all...

Thanks, Hank

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot load correct drivers for CDRW/DVD combo drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot load correct drivers for CDRW/DVD combo drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cannot load correct drivers for CDRW/DVD combo drive
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 4:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Cannot load correct drivers for CDRW/DVD combo drive
by hankbates / October 30, 2004 6:10 AM PDT

Bob,
Thanks for your quick response. I have often sensed that packet writing on CDRW's, using them as floppies, is often unreliable, but I didn't realize the problem is as bad as it looks, after following your link.
I have had success thus far in packet writing a CDRW from one of my computers to the other, even with using different drives, but I guess I'd better watch carefully.
I guess, though, that my real question is when installing any of these drives in the computer how do I get the found new hardware to actually find the correct drivers? They all seem to be the same, and they are in the computer, as the ujda 310L picks all of them up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, but no change in results.
Do I need to use System restore to go back and start over with a clean slate?
Thanks, Hank

Collapse -
Sorry, I only note the issue and my solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 6:16 AM PDT

I can't fix InCD or other DirectCD issues. So far that seems to be something no one has a firm handle on. Let me add this item. The INCD you have may be some OEM version and LOCKED to some make/model CDRW drive. As such, it will do very very odd things if you have some internal CDRW and external drives. The only fix for that was to purchase a FULL RETAIL version of Nero so you don't have a CRIPPLED InCD.

Again, I only note that this area is in less than ready for primetime shape and gently try to nudge people to stop the pain and just erase then record their content.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Sorry, I only note the issue and my solution.
by hankbates / November 5, 2004 9:13 PM PST

I think I have figured out a solution to my issue.
In one computer, Windows XP's Found new Hardware wizard was able to find the correct .inf file to install the drive, and for some reason it could not in the other computer. The Wizard never completed, and therefore it kept coming up whenever I started up the computer.
I could not find the proper .inf file in device manager, but a registry search in the good installation to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} provided more information,and told me the file cdrom.inf was the right one, in fact, for all cd or dvd drives. Thanks to Cetin for providing this suggestion in another thread.
Steering the Wizard to the right .inf file allowed the wizard to complete, and the problem disappeared.
This is a great forum....

Collapse -
You are welcome. Thanks for the Feedback and ...
by Cetin Denislam / November 6, 2004 3:53 AM PST

? unfortunately, I didn't read this thread before. This is because the actual Forums Software's inability for showing the threads in expanded view - or - at least an intermediary implementation in order to minimize the inutile clicks. In busy days, I'm just skipping them. That's why I'm reading and replying to the messages without replies first.

Glad to see that you found yourself the resolution in this Forum. There are many fixes hidden here, some of them not found by querying the search engines.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: You are welcome. Thanks for the Feedback and ...
by hankbates / December 13, 2004 11:54 PM PST

Cetin,
It seems as if I have a general problem with XP finding .inf files. I just replaced an 18GB hard drive with a 20, and now I have the new hardware wizard popping up with each restart and telling me that the drive may not work properly.
Evidently the correct drivers were installed, but the wizard could not complete. Could this be a general issue with XPSP2?
Is there a general listing of which keys apply to each type of hardware? It could be helpful as I run into more problems with this installation finding hardware.

Thanks, Hank

Collapse -
The general answer is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2004 11:59 PM PST

Microsoft does not supply current or "most" drivers.

Does that help?

Let me be blunt. YOU or the person installing the OS must find and supply or install these drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The general answer is...
by hankbates / December 14, 2004 12:57 AM PST

Thanks, Bob,
But I have never had this issue with a hard drive before, and the CDRW/DVD installed with the same generic drivers as were used by all prior cd/cdrom/cdrw drives.
The OS used to find .inf files rather easily, now I seem to need to drag it there and push its face into it....
In another similar issue, a usb 2.0 adapter installs easily in one pcmcia slot when I lead it to the driver, but if I put it into the other slot it tells me that the same .inf file which has already installed it doesn't contain information about the device.
The hard drive is a recent model IDM travelstar, narrow form factor, not an unusual item.
Hank

Collapse -
Again, XP doesn't do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 1:35 AM PST

Part of your answer is at http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/winxp.htm

Another part might be that PCMCIA statement. Older PCMCIA laptops could have a PCMCIA slot and a "Zoomed" PCMCIA slot. What you noted could indeed happen since the OS has suffered some catostrophe.

Laptops are usually quite harsh on people who haven't been installing Windows for years.

Bob

Collapse -
It looks like something is eating my .ini files
by hankbates / December 14, 2004 7:45 AM PST

Thanks for the good advice, Bob. I am currently on travel with my other computer, so the repair will need to wait until I return.
Interestingly enough, I nosed around in the registry of this computer (it is the one which had the CDRW/DVD problem) and was lucky (I think) to find that the generic .ini files for a hard drive is disk.inf, and I couldn't find it on this computer.
Looking at the ghosted (uninstalled) hardware I found the drivers for the IBM-djsa-220 drive which doesn't completely install on the other computer, and they are the same as for the other drives which have been installed. This drive is not a stranger on the other computer, as it has been used for backup in a secondary caddy on both computers prior to being placed into service.
I will let you know what I find...
Hank

Collapse -
Computer can't find ,inf files
by hankbates / December 15, 2004 11:15 PM PST

Sorry, I should have said .inf files...

Collapse -
Did you try this yet
by Native_Texan / December 17, 2004 4:38 AM PST
Collapse -
''What was running''
by Cursorcowboy / November 5, 2004 9:48 PM PST
InCD4 did not recognize the eject action, so if I were to write to a CD-RW and then try to copy in Nero, Nero would not start, and tell me that the drive was already in use by InCD. Perhaps a reinstall of InCD4 would also have corrected this, also.

"Starter" is a free startup manager that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items. You can choose to safely disable selected entries, edit them or delete them altogether (if you know what you're doing). Expert users can even add their own entries.
Collapse -
Re: ''What was running''
by hankbates / November 6, 2004 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: ''What was running''

Thanks! Sounds like a really useful program. I'll give it a try.
Hank

Collapse -
Have you tried the auto fix yet?
by Native_Texan / December 14, 2004 11:22 AM PST

It Worked for both my drives that were all messed up after incd,nero etc,etc

Collapse -
Autofix?
by hankbates / December 14, 2004 11:53 AM PST

I am not familiar with it.
Can you give me details?
Thanks, Hank

Collapse -
re: autofix?
by hankbates / December 14, 2004 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Autofix?

I found it at the Microsoft website, it could be helpful with the cd drive issues.
Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Let us know, hope it helps :-)
by Native_Texan / December 14, 2004 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: re: autofix?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?