HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot install XP Pro (Clean Install)

by TyroneB / November 19, 2006 1:05 AM PST

Hi Guys first off I have a PC that I use for music and I wanted to do a clean install to get rid of unwanted garbage on the PC.

I decided to format the drive and I unpluged the usb and firewire cables.

When I try to install from CD it will not install says Missing NT LDR

I then tried from the boot disks and it still will not do it when I put the CD in once prompted it will not reconize the CD in the drive.

Before you say it is the CD rom it is not because I used my Maxtor disk and it reconize that also.

Before you say it is the CD it is not because I attempted it on my other PC and it reconized it..

How do get this to work?

Can I flash my Motherboard to reset all the settings..

This must be a hardware issue but I am puzzled on this one it worked until I decided to do a fresh isntall

Thanks Tyrone

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot install XP Pro (Clean Install)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot install XP Pro (Clean Install)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you used the CDROM drive from the other PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 1:15 AM PST

And the XP CD that worked there?

I've run across where some boot CDs work and the XP CD didn't. At least I could get around that by duplicating the XP CD. Then it worked fine. I then get Microsoft to replace said factory CD if I can.

bob

Collapse -
CD works fine
by TyroneB / November 19, 2006 1:17 AM PST

No such luck at all not sure what the problem is I know it not the CD

Collapse -
(NT) Glad to see you solved it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: CD works fine
Collapse -
Solved? No!
by TyroneB / November 19, 2006 2:41 AM PST

It is not solved and I cannot get it to work I was telling you that the CD is intact and it works but it will not boot

Collapse -
Then why did you dismiss my findings?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Solved? No!

I've run into this situation and found the cure. You wrote your CD was good so I took that as you fixed it.

Maybe you are not looking for possible cures? Sometimes people don't want to try anything at all.

Bob

Collapse -
Not sure what else to do
by TyroneB / November 19, 2006 3:16 AM PST

Give a solution I tried everything that I know

I will not try to see if loading the bios off the CD will reset the hardware config...

I am running out of ideas

Collapse -
It's not a solution unless it works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 3:21 AM PST

I take it you don't want ideas. Only the solution.

Sorry but I'd use the known good drive or try a duplicate of the XP CD. But this seems unacceptable to you.

I fear you may end up at a repair counter.

Bob

Collapse -
I know you are holding out
by TyroneB / November 19, 2006 3:31 AM PST

No, It is not the drive it worked fine up to when I wanted to erase and do a fresh install....

Now you said to use another drive?

This drive works I just need get it working again there is no way in the matter of hours just be erasing data it goes bad..

Plus I ran a dianostic test it it said the drive was fine

Collapse -
So it's not the cdrom drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 3:41 AM PST

I don't see how you can be helped if you discount things I've run into before. I don't want to sound mean or such but it's your choice here.

Here's what I've run into.

1. A XP CD that works fine in other machines.
2. The target machine won't boot from it but will boot and read other CDs.

I've solved this one numerous times since I know not to discount anything. I'll duplicate the XP CD and try the dupe. I'll also swap out the CDROM drive since it's a factor.

But you seem to know it's not this or that so how can we get past that and move on to things that have worked for me?

Bob

Collapse -
Your doing fine I appreciate your help!
by TyroneB / November 19, 2006 3:49 AM PST

I swapped my Plextor DVD drive in place of a CD ROM drive also I made about 5 copies of the CD last night..

I should have told you all the things I tried but this is the first time I have seen this every...

Collapse -
Save a few turns?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 4:00 AM PST

Details like that help dismiss possible cures and leave me room to explore other avenues.

Here's some new ideas.

1. The ntldr issue can occur if the owner had some SATA drive and didn't install XP proper.

2. Booting the XP CD drive has been known to fail with various causes.
a. XP CD (you nixed that.)
b. The drive (I think you got that one.)
c. The drive cable.
d. The drive is not on a stock IDE channel. Try the secondary IDE channel.
e. The drive is not master on the stock IDE channel.
f. There is some other drive on the same channel as the cd drive we want to boot. Remove that.

I'm taking it for granted you have the BIOS set to boot from CD.

Floppy boots fail for numerous reasons. So many that I don't consider this as a valid install method.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Can you do a DOS copy?
by meisinscotland / November 19, 2006 5:07 AM PST

Can you do a DOS copy of the Windows CD Files?
I'll tell you a little story. (Shortened by a large amount)

I got a new laptop, with Windows XP (XP is standard these days). I don't like XP, so, formatted disk and tried to install Windows 2000 - wouldn't install off the CD. Had to do a DOS copy of the files to another disk and install from there, and worked flawlessly. Maybe you can use some of these boot floppies to get a DOS prompt, and then copy from there?

And by the way Robert, using Floppies to boot the computer is just fine as long as disk and drive are in working order.

Post back and we'll see if it worked. Good luck!

Collapse -
Fine if it works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Can you do a DOS copy?

In this case it's not and the owner didn't reveal the clues until many turns later. There are also other items missing in this post.

Let's be blunt here. XP boots and installs on good hardware. Since this is not the case some hardware is bad or badly configured. But the owner is in denial that "it can't be" this or that. Often we have to leave them to season or simmer a while so they can revisit what it can't be.

Bob

Collapse -
getting close I think it is a hardware problem
by TyroneB / November 19, 2006 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Can you do a DOS copy?

1. "The ntldr issue can occur if the owner had some SATA drive and didn't install XP proper."

One of the drives are a SATA drive but I had all of them disconnected because I thought that was the problem now I hooked them back up but with now luck.

It would not be the cable since it works fine with other CD's

Collapse -
Tell exactly how you install XP to a SATA drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 7:01 AM PST

There's a very important step that if you miss it then XP will cough up a ntldr boot error. I don't duplicate read web content on how to install XP to SATA drives but it involves a driver that is not on the XP CD.

Again, why dismiss the cable? This is where many get into trouble. They exclaim "that's not it" and end up at a service counter where some tech will just swap such items because it can always be "it."

We all wish Microsoft would have issued a new XP CD with SATA support. It's a shameful situation.

Bob

Collapse -
Hard disk problem
by nricacos / November 19, 2006 10:17 PM PST

Since none of the XP CDs worked in your case, I am pretty sure you have a SATA 2 hardisk connected on a SATA 1 port (or your motherboard supports only SATA 1). What you can do is open your casing, locate the har disk, and it there is any jumper present, enalbe it for SATA 1 mode, plug back the hdd and reboot with the CDROM inserted in the drive.

Sometimes, windows will not boot from the SATA 2 hdd plugged on a SATA 1 port. Be careful. Please send your feedback if what ive said worked.
Cheers.

Collapse -
Solved Problem
by TyroneB / November 22, 2006 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Hard disk problem

Sorry guys for not getting back sooner I solved the problem.....I was doing a quick format which did not completely remove all the data on the HD. In fact for future reference it was a hardware conflict that cause the error but once I did a full format it installed with no hicups..

Thanks all again!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.