Computer Help forum

General discussion

cannot install works suite

by Delvine / June 14, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

hi i am new here and hoping one of you clever people might be able to help me, please, i have just has windows xp reloaded on my pc, because of a corrupt file nad could not install digital camera, that has now been sorted (by professionals) i am now having to reinstall the things that i lost during the clean, i am trying to reload works suite 2003, but the install wizard keeps saying that i have Norton running and i have to close it in task manager, but i already have it disabled, and it is not visible in the task manager, so i don't know what to do now, apart from removing norton from my pc(which i don't want to do because it was pre-installed) some one please help if you can....thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot install works suite
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot install works suite
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cannot install works suite
by Kees Bakker / June 14, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

If Norton was preinstalled, and Works wasn't, how did you do it the previous time?
What's the version of Norton?
What exactly did you disable, and how?
If you uninstall Norton, can you reinstall it later on?

Hope this helps,

Kees

Collapse -
by Delvine / June 14, 2004 5:34 AM PDT

thanx for reply, works suite came as an extra, when i bought the pc, and i installed it before i installed norton previously, but this time when i collected the pc yesterday, my daughter booted it up and installed norton, before the works disc,It is Norton antivirus 2002 and it is pre-installed on the pc, and just needed to be activated, so i don't have a disc, i have disabled it temporarily when i have been installing(right click/disable on norton icon),i am only a novice pc user and still learning...thanx

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / June 14, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

You give a solution yourself: again install the OS, and this time first install all your software, only then install/activate Norton.

I don't know Norton (maybe somebody else does), but are you sure it doesn't have any other way to disable its on-access or real-time checking (or whatever it's called, avg says 'resident shield')? If you really can't get it out of the way, the above solution should help.
Is the message from the works installer only a warning or does it just quit? If it's only a warning you can try to continue.

Kees

Collapse -
by Delvine / June 14, 2004 6:04 AM PDT

yes, works just quits, i am not competent enough to re-install the os myself, but can understand what mistake was made, when my system was booted up,i might try stopping norton starting with the start-up menu in "msconfig" and try "works" again after a shutdown, thanx for info...del

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.