Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot install Win2K or 98SE

I've just recently finished building an AMD desktop. It has an AMD Athlon XP 2200 cpu, a Chaintech 7AJA2 motherboard, IDE drives and SDRAM memory.

I've tried installing Win98SE (planning to later upgrade) and also tried a clean setup of Win2K Pro. But no OS setup can finish, whether I choose FAT32 format or NTFS format. And Win2K will neither install from the CD-ROM nor the 4 floppies.

I'm guessing that the problem might be in the BIOS. And I've tried clearing the CMOS (with jumper) and reformatting the HDD, but still cannot install Windows.

How could I fix this? And if it might need a BIOS update or reinstallation, where can I find a free download and instructions for a Do-It-Yourself BIOS setup?

-David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot install Win2K or 98SE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot install Win2K or 98SE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure but here's what I would try

In reply to: Cannot install Win2K or 98SE

Get into the BIOS and disable every on board feature you can. Missing drivers can cause such installation problems. With 2K, you should be presented an option to add third party drivers to the installation process. The trick with these is they need to on floppies and, sometimes, the MB driver disk will be able to make these driver disks for you but you need access to another PC to make the driver diskettes. Any clues here?

Collapse -
These OS's will install without.....

In reply to: Cannot install Win2K or 98SE

issue on machines without hardware trouble.

At which point of your installation procedure does it fail?

Try setting the Bios to boot from the CDROM first and the HD second, then boot the 2K cd, partition, format and install 2K.

Collapse -
My boot order

In reply to: These OS's will install without.....

You might be right, because I've only had the HDD as the 3rd boot while I changed 1st boot to CD before trying to install from CD-ROM and changed 1st boot to floppy when trying to install from that drive.

IOW, when trying to install from floppies, I've had the order as floppy, CD, and HDD. And, when trying to install from the CD, have only switched the 1st and 2nd drives.

But I have another question: Do you think I should wait until after finishing Win setup before installing my PCI sound card?

-David

Collapse -
In a clean install of....

In reply to: My boot order

W2K, I will have all the hardware installed in the box and all the drivers for the various hardware devices(sound card included), on hand.

Win2K will balk at whatever hardware it does not recognize, at which point I will jump in and add in this order:

1) Motherboard drivers
2) Sound, NIC, video....etc. drivers
3) Windows Update
4) Programs

and finally

5) my backed up data which was saved off the hard drive before this operation began.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.