General discussion

Cannot install graphics card driver

Hi Happy I cannot install the driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 3820TG with switchable graphics. When I attempt to install the driver, no matter which driver I use, be it the ATI latest driver or Acer's driver, neither work. I cannot install the driver for Intel HD Graphics either because "this computer does not meet the minimum specifications". I changed the BIOS settings from Switcheable to Discrete and back, but both don't work. In Discrete mode, my HD 5650 apparently is unable to start. Also, in both modes, my HD 5650 appears as "Standard VGA Adapter". I really want that driver installed, but am up in arms over how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My laptop specs are: Core i5 520m, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 with switcheable graphics technology.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Cannot install graphics card driver
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Cannot install graphics card driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If this helps...

it happened after I formatted my computer from its previous WIndows 7 Home Premium 64bit and upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

- Collapse -
oh, and

I noticed that when in Switcheable graphics mode, the HD5650 will show as Standard VGA Adapter and that "The device cannot start (code 10)". What does this mean and why?

- Collapse -
drivers

Typically that's an error in device manager when a device can't start which should put that error into perspective for you.

I would boot into safe mode, uninstall the graphics drivers under Display, "choose to NOT remove software if prompted" restart the system normally and see if Windows installs the drivers after a few minutes. If not, try reinstalling them manually.

If this doesn't work, I would uninstall the drivers, choosing to remove the software as well and start fresh.

If you had an OEM system prior, and installed a non OEM version, unless you upgraded the OEM OS, it can be tough to find drivers and why I always back up drivers prior.

Basically, try to get your standard working drivers

Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
drivers

Sorry, somehow my statement is cut off.

"Basically, try to get your standard working drivers backed up before installing a new OS"

I use Double Driver http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm any time I reinstall someone's system or even my own, this saves a lot of hassle later on. So if you can get your driver issue fixed, I suggest backing up immediately after.

CNET Forums

Forum Info