Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

Cannot install AVG Free Edition

by teamconlon / April 2, 2011 5:16 AM PDT

I have same problem posted by goldfish320 on March 30, 2011

hello--
after clicking the download now button, running and extracting the files, an AVG windown popped up and says, "please wait"... after a few seconds the window closed and NOTHING Happens. No AVG folder, even tried saving exe to desktop and running directly.

I have logs to share, an AVG support post said "If the archive is smaller than 512 kilobytes, please attach it to your post (use the Attach file blue link when creating your post." But this dialog box/tool does not have an "attach" option. - Please advise - Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot install AVG Free Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot install AVG Free Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ps:
by teamconlon / April 2, 2011 5:20 AM PDT

I also uninstalled Norton Antivirus (and restarted) which was a trial I had not even started. PC is a brand new HP Pavilion dv6-3250us Windows 7

Collapse -
Update...
by teamconlon / April 2, 2011 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: ps:

I downloaded the free version from the AVG site directly and it finally worked. I deleted the AVG exe from CNET I was trying to use but only gave me the "please wait" message box and then disappeared without any installation what so ever. Glad I kept trying and went to AVG directly.

Collapse -
Update
by teamconlon / April 2, 2011 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: ps:

I downloaded the free version from the AVG site directly and it worked. The version I used from CNET only gave me the "please wait" message and did not do any installation what so ever. Glad I kept trying and went direct, esp since no one replied to these posts.

Collapse -
RE: Update
by Dusan_AVG / April 2, 2011 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

Hello teamconlon,

Using full installation package instead of download manager often solves issues like you described.

Answers to the posts on forums may be delayed during weekends and holidays so that is why you did not receive response as fast as usual.

Thank you

Collapse -
update
by dsobol / April 6, 2011 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Update

Hello,

Does anyone know what causes this problem and should we be concerned about what was installed as a result of trying to install that version os AVG?

Thank you.

Collapse -
Re: update
by Ondrej_AVG / April 6, 2011 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: update

Hello dsobol,

please be informed that for analysis of described situation we need more information from affected computers. Please gather AVG installation logs and MSinfo32 output, upload it in an archive (zip file) to favorite online storage and provide us with link to it, so we can analyze the situation.

Else according to description in previous posts is AVG installation wizard closed during startup phase (checking for newer version of online installer wizard or running Microsoft Windows Installer), no part of AVG 2011 Anti-Virus Free Edition is installed in such time period.

Thank you

Collapse -
thank you!
by dsobol / April 7, 2011 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: update

Hello,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I'm sorry I didn't save the files you were looking for. However, I was just paranoid that the file I tried to install was not in fact from AVG (I used the link on CNET downloads) and that it might have contained some kind of virus.

I assume based on part 2 of your reply that this would not be the case?

Dave

Collapse -
RE>
by Dusan_AVG / April 7, 2011 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you!

Hello dsobol,

Cnet download link for AVG is clean and usually works correctly, there is nothing to be concerned about.

If you are still unable to install, please provide us with outputs requested above.

Thank you

Collapse -
Thanks again!
by dsobol / April 7, 2011 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: RE>

Thanks again! Greatly appreciated!

I downloaded from the AVG site & it installed just fine.

Note: the version I downloaded from AVG is 10.0.0.1209, the version that CNET links to as of today is Version 10.0.1204.

Don't know if that means anything, but I figured I'd share the info.

Thanks again.

Bye!

Dave

Collapse -
Re: Thanks again!
by Ondrej_AVG / April 7, 2011 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again!

Hello dsobol,

thank you for sharing the information about current state.

Version 1209 was released last week and it takes some time before the change is reflected at CNET portal as well. But please do not worry, during startup of online installer (from CNET, AVG or other partner's website), it checks for latest version of itself and if found, newer version is downloaded and used.

Currently has been replicated new version of AVG 2011 - 10.0.1321.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.