HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

cannot install any new software

by alpha42au / February 24, 2006 1:49 AM PST

I have a system that is totally up to par with all of the software I am trying to install... all games such as AOE3, Battle for Middle Earth, and even older games such as Age of Mythology. I can install programs that are downloaded, but nothing from disk. This is leading me to believe that there's a problem with my cd/dvd drive. The system always tells me there's a problem with one of the .big or .cab files - usually that they're corrupt. Which I find impossible seeing how the games are brand new. I previously had the LotR game installed, then had to reformat my harddrive. I had a hell of a time re-installing windows also. Just wondering if anybody can give me any tips on what to do before I go out and buy anything I don't have to. I've got an ABIT AA8XE Fatal1ty board, P4 3.4 processor, 1G of PQI ram, ATI Radeon X700 PCI-E, 80GB WD HDD, and an NEC 3540A CD/DVD burner. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot install any new software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot install any new software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Weekend warrior.
by Cursorcowboy / February 24, 2006 9:14 PM PST
PART I:

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph in RED, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Note also: You have the option of using the hyperlink ''Edit My Profile'' on the right side of the main page to fill in applicable system information so that it is available.

Assuming that your system is WinXP or if W2K, perhaps the same fits.

PART II:

Regardless of what you now use/have, perform each of the following as a minimum:

1. You may experience any one or more of the following symptoms when deceptive software such as spyware or unauthorized adware is installed on the system, [Q827315]:

? When you start your computer, or when your computer has been idle for many minutes, your Internet browser opens to display Web site advertisements.

? When you use your browser to view Web sites, other instances of your browser open to display Web site advertisements.

? Your Web browser's home page unexpectedly changes.

? Web pages are unexpectedly added to your Favorites folder.

? New toolbars are unexpectedly added to your Web browser.

? You cannot start a program.

? When you click a link in a program, the link does not work.

? Your Web browser suddenly closes or stops responding.

? It takes a much longer time to start or to resume your computer.

? Components of Windows or other programs no longer work.

WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated. In addition, if you've never been through an eradication process, you're in for a surprise.

2. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

3. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below. And note, there may be enough intrusion to cause all kinds of frustration in getting these programs to install and then clean a system. If there is a huge amount of cleaning to perform, limit the amount removed at one time and run the program again. If the programs don't install correctly the first time, uninstall from the Add/Remove applet in the Control Panel and install again.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program. In fact, this is the very first thing I would do anyway.

Caveat: Problems connecting? Try the "Computer Cops" site and find the files in question.

a. "Housecall."

Note: If Housecalls doesn't run for whatever reason, you might as well abort and go to the next and try this site later. Otherwise, try the BitDefender "Online Scanner."

b. "Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

Note: Receiving an error "SO Exploit: . . ." (data source object) caused by the active secutity setting "Download unsigned ActiveX controls", it could be set to "Disable" or "Prompt" or ignore the produced error.

d. "CWShredder v2.15."

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

CAVEAT: Read the precaution concerning the subject of "Hijack-This.NET" at the official Web site by Merlin.org.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal", and the Viruses and Security Alerts Forum moderator's message concerning "HiJackThis log postings." In addition, you may find the site "Help2Go" informative concerning certain problematic items and receive recommendations but use their suggestions with caution or else. . .

4. Download and use "IIEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

(1) "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

(2) "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

5. The article [Q320454] discusses and contains information about the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" tool (MBSA) (click to see a screen shot) that centrally scans Windows-based computers for common security misconfigurations and generates a "report" (click to see an example).

Caveat: "After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-related problems, or you receive an error message (Q892350)."

Note: Should such happen, my suggestions are:

a. "WinSock XP Fix" (Image) offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then "download" and give WinSock XP Fix a try, a 1,412kb file. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

b. "LSP-Fix" is a free utility that may be downloaded to repair certain problems associated with Internet software when you can no longer access Web sites due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of software. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

6. "ShieldsUP" is the Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable, most powerful, complete and trusted free online Internet security checkup and information service where at this site you can check your system for vulnerability and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Setting Up Security Zones."

b. "Chapter 27 - Security Zones."

c. "Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."

d. "Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal."

e. "Removal Instructions for . . ." is a helpful site that will be helpful in your learning more.

PART III:

When you try to open EXE files, you may get errors messages like: "Access Deny", "Runtime error" etc. and can be caused by corrupt registry settings or some third party product (or virus) that changed the default configuration. The article "Can't open EXE files (Q555067)" discusses the possible fix.

PART IV:

1. "Windows Installer (Q310598)" is not just an installation program;

? it is an extensible software management system. Windows Installer manages the installation of software, manages the additions and deletions of software components, monitors file resiliency, and maintains basic disaster recovery by using rollbacks. In addition, Windows Installer supports installing and running software from multiple sources, and can be customized by developers who want to install custom programs.

? it records errors and events in its own error log and in the "Event log" which may be of help to understand the cause of a failed installation.

Note: The article [Q328005] explains the procedures for verifying the location of the Msiexec.exe file on your hard disk, in the Windows Registry, and re-registering the Windows Installer.

2. "Error codes" (Zero to 3010) returned by the Windows Installer functions, MsiExec.exe and InstMsi.exe (an SDK Documentation).

Note: At the left top of this page you'll find a box labeled "Search for" that may be used to search the libraries for such items as those you enter from that "Error code" column.

3. "Windows Installer Error Messages" have an error code of 1000 or greater. The error codes numbered 1000 to 1999 are ship errors and must be authored into the Error table. The error codes numbered greater than 2000 are internal errors and do not have authored strings, but these can occur if the installation package has been incorrectly authored (an SDK Documentation).

4. Be advised however as discussed in the article [Q872903], errors occurs when the SYSTEM account on the particular drive does not have correct permissions. Or, [Q315353] should the Windows Installer Service be unregistered or damaged

5. "You cannot run executable files or program add-ins that are downloaded by using Internet Explorer or by using Outlook Express on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer (Q843022)."

6. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Enable Windows Installer Logging in Windows XP (Q314852)."

b. "The Command-Line Options for the Microsoft Windows Installer Tool Msiexec.exe (Q314881)" which you may need to use in circumstances of packages/(product code) needing unstalled -- option /x.

Note: However, if this involves clients where Policies are in effect on a Domain, please read "An Assigned Package Is Reinstalled Every Time Clients Log on to the Domain (Q828452)."

c. "Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (Q290301)."

7. Access the "Windows XP from A to Z"" at the Kellys-Korner site, click the "W" and then scroll down to "Windows Installer Issues".

PART V:

Since you indicated you have a CD/DVD burner, does its software not have a disc verifier?

Purchase a simple and cheap CDROM drive and add it to the system which will verify whether there is a problem with either the CD/DVD burner or its program.

PART VI:

When stating a system renders an error message report that error verbatim so that we have a more precise indication of what the problem may be.
Collapse -
Gz, With Your Description...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2006 7:18 AM PST

..and it's just my opinion, especially since downloaded programs install fine, it appears like the CD/DVD drive is not reading correctly..You could open the computer tower and reseat all of that driver cabling or use a driver cleaner. If that doesn't fix it, then I would replace the drive.. New dual-layer DVD burners are fairly cheap and it's easier to replace than to spend days finding that you need one anyway.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.