Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Cannot get output on .mp4

by VistaVictim / June 7, 2014 3:46 PM PDT

Hi all,

Am using WMP on Windows 7.

A Mac user 'emailed' me a one-hour .mp4 video file, via WeTransfer, a cloud-based file transfer service.

I successfully download the file, click to play and it opens but then it is blank. Properties show it is an mp4 and that his has 647 MB of video lasting 59.34 minutes. On opening, the timelines also shows 59.34 minutes, and it 'plays' through from start to finish but there is no sound or video.

TIA for any solutions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot get output on .mp4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot get output on .mp4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try VLC PLAYER?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 2:04 AM PDT

If that fails, the file is truly bad or just so oddly encoded that it's dead Jim.
Bob

Collapse -
VLC Player didn't work
by VistaVictim / June 8, 2014 3:36 PM PDT

...so am wondering what the trouble is.

I would like to try to establish that before I get the person to re-send me the file, otherwise it will just be a repeat of the problem and a waste of their time.

1. Could it have been corrupted when it passed through the cloud?

2. Can we be sure it isn't Mac v. PC incompatibility?

3. Is there such thing as self-disabling software, which prevents mp4s being moved from one computer to another? The point is that this mp4 has been legally downloaded from the website of a TV station, the download is no longer available and an attempt is being made to forward the mp4 to me instead of (i) burning it to DVD and sending it to me by snail mail or (ii) bringing me the computer that it was downloaded onto so that I can watch it on that.

Collapse -
After you've used VLC for years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: VLC Player didn't work

You would understand the issue here. Good luck and God speed.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, don't understand the reply
by VistaVictim / June 8, 2014 10:31 PM PDT

Prompted by your advice I downloaded VLC and used it first the first time ever, afaia.

Forgive me but I don't understand your "After you've used VLC for years. / You would understand the issue here."

I'm rather amateur with IT, and still don't understand the issue...

Collapse -
It will dawn on you. May take a while.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2014 2:41 AM PDT

If all players can't play it, the answer is there for most to take with them. Sorry if that sounds unclear.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm certain you mean well,
by VistaVictim / June 9, 2014 3:48 PM PDT

I'm certain you mean well, otherwise you wouldn't be volunteering your help here.

But I'd like you to know that because your reply is some kind of a riddle, it comes across as sarcastic.

You've said sorry in advance for being unclear. Clarity would still be appreciated.

Collapse -
No riddle at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 1:49 AM PDT

If all players fail, it's corrupt and gone. There are some folk that want what they see on TV. But they forget that's on TV and not reality.

Here we offer advice about the other players and it seems that you want more. I'd delete it and stop losing time over a bum file.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
further testing
by VistaVictim / June 7, 2014 5:06 PM PDT

I just tried to run the file with RealPlayer Cloud (RPC), same problem and I get the message that a General Error occurred.

I tried to run other mp4 files on my computer, they play fine both in WMP and RPC, so it seems the problem is occurring only with this file.

Collapse -
Re: problem with file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 9, 2014 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: further testing

So you delete that file and all problems are solved.
Then contact the sender and tell the story. Maybe he has a better version for you.

Kees

Collapse -
So we're giving up
by VistaVictim / June 9, 2014 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: problem with file

Ok, so if you reckon the problem is with the file alone, and that there's no way for me to salvage it, then obviously there is no solution. We're giving up, I'm deleting the file.

Thank you for your time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?