Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot get out of safe mode

by klakh / January 23, 2006 8:32 AM PST

I have Dell Dimension 8100 running Windows ME. When I rebooted this a.m. my computer opened in safe mode. I hit F8 and made sure Normal was highlighted. I ran msconfig and made sure the normal startup button was on, I have tried all I know, but cannot get back to normal. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot get out of safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot get out of safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link about...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 11:22 PM PST
Collapse -
Safe mode; Link about
by klakh / January 25, 2006 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: Link about...

Thank you for the link. I had already been there and have gone through the list and tried all of it. I am still in safe mode and am now contemplating pulling out my hair!!

Collapse -
Need more clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: Safe mode; Link about

That's the article I use. If the OS is too damaged I might reinstall, but the clean boot usually finds what is bothering ME.

Bob

Collapse -
Clean Boot
by klakh / January 26, 2006 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Need more clues.

I cannot get a clean boot. The "Load startup group items" box has a check in it. I have tried three times. What do you suggest I do to get a clean boot?

Collapse -
When clean boot fails, here's what I usually hear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Clean Boot

"Oh, I changed the motherboard. Does that matter?"

Yes it does and points to possible solutions short of a fresh OS install.

A clean boot is detailed at the KB article and you can find more on google.com with the words CLEAN BOOT "WINDOWS ME" Hint: use those 4 words and the quotes to narrow it down.

Until I have more clues to work with, all I can do is share that such works for me.

One last thought. Other times I here "I added..." ram, drive, this or that. But such should be shared on your next post.

Bob

Collapse -
Reply to R. Proffitt
by klakh / January 26, 2006 10:23 AM PST

A few days ago I installed a new (used) floppy drive. It was either the next day or the day after that, that I rebooted my computer, for the third or fourth time after the new installation, that my computer came on in safe mode. The words "Safe Mode" did not appear on my screen but the appearance was the same. When I hit the F8 button while rebooting, the normal mode was selected but the computer still came up in the same safe mode appearance. So, I have been troubleshooting ever since. I have a Dell dimension 8100. I have 384 MB of RAM, 32 bit. Do you need any more info to be able to help me further?
Karen

Collapse -
Take a look inside the MSDOS.SYS file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to R. Proffitt

Here's a google about that file.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MSDOS.SYS

What I'm wondering is if it's set there to start safe mode. Copy and paste that file in a reply so we can look it over.

-> The new install may be a clue. Given that clue I might power down, open it up and reseat cards and give the connections a small push to make sure all is in place.

Bob

Collapse -
Msdos.sys
by klakh / January 26, 2006 11:26 AM PST

Following is what came up. I don't see anything helpful but maybe you can. Meanwhile, I will open the computer and see if all is secure.
Karen

Collapse -
Msdos.sys
by klakh / January 26, 2006 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Msdos.sys

Sorry. I forgot to paste:

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C
UninstallDir=C:\

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.90.3000
;
;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
BootMenu=0

Collapse -
So far so good. One question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 12:02 PM PST

Sometimes a member will think they are in safe mode but it's only because the Screen is in that 640x480 16 color mode. Be sure you are not being deceived here. Safe Mode will have those Safe Mode words in the corners.

If it's the video mode, try changing it to 800x600.

Bob

Collapse -
Video Mode
by klakh / January 26, 2006 12:33 PM PST

How do I get to video mode?

Collapse -
Display Properties.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2006 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Video Mode

I use the right click on the desktop, Properties method. Others will use the Control Panel.

I must ask that you share your background. Windows ME has been out many many years and to have your machine this long and not learn how/where the display properties is shows that I might need to know where you are skillwise so I don't make the assumption you've had your PC for years.

Bob

Collapse -
by klakh / January 27, 2006 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Display Properties.

I had already gone into properties and tried to move the slide to 800x600 but it would not move, so I thought there might be another place to change it. I have had my computer since 2001 and by no means do I consider myself highly skilled, but neither am I a novice. There are many things I do not know simply because I have not had reasons to explore some aspects of my computer, hence my requesting help from this forum. Also, I must say that because I have been into so many areas these past days, I often cannot remember what I found where, if that makes any sense. If you will continue to help me I cannot assure that I will not ask another basic question because my mind has become so muddled.

Is there another way to change the pixels since I cannot move the slide

Karen?

Collapse -
Since you did not note the item I presented, I'd do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2006 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Reply

I'd install the video card drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
by klakh / January 28, 2006 1:30 AM PST

I just finished doing exactly that. It worked! Thank you so much for all of your help!
Karen

Collapse -
Glad it was just that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2006 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

Sorry for the long back and forth, but at least it's back...

Bob

Collapse -
Worth it
by klakh / January 28, 2006 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Glad it was just that.

It was worth it, now that it's behind me, as I learned more about my computer than I would have otherwise.
Again, thank you so much!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?