Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot get links to load.

by Poopsiedo / August 30, 2007 7:12 AM PDT

When I google something and then click on the links, my computer does nothing. I cannot get the links to load. I also click on the links in my e-mail and most of the time they will not load. This has only been happeing in the last week or two. I am not very conmputer literate as to the inner working of the computer, although I have been using it for years. I can fix it if someone will tell me what to do. Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot get links to load.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot get links to load.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cannot get links to load
by Poopsiedo / August 30, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

When I google something and then click on the links, my computer does nothing. I cannot get the links to load. I also click on the links in my e-mail and most of the time they will not load. This has only been happeing in the last week or two. I am not very conmputer literate as to the inner working of the computer, although I have been using it for years. I can fix it if someone will tell me what to do. Thanks for your help.
I forgot to mention that I have a Dell Demension E310 with Microsoft Windows XP home edition.
Version: 5.1 2600 SP2

Collapse -
Re: Cannot get links to load
by Tufenuf / August 30, 2007 11:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Couple of things
by Jackson Douglas / August 30, 2007 8:31 AM PDT

My best guess would be that since the problem is rather sudden, that it's a result of some kind of malware. Someone else can cover the removal aspect of things, I like to focus on preventing the problems before they start.

To that end, some very important lessons in computer security that you need to learn. The first one is, Microsoft products are NOT safe to use for any period of time on the Internet. There are a whole host of reasons why, but that's what it all amounts to. I keep hoping some day this will change, but Microsoft continues to disappoint.

Internet Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express are chief among those programs that should NEVER be allowed to connect to the Internet. There is one exception, and that's using Internet Explorer to download security patches from Windows Update. Outside of that, you'd be best to pretend it doesn't exist. Choose your favorite among the alternative browsers Mozilla Firefox, Seamonkey, Opera, and Safari. Make that your new browser of choice. Almost any other email client would be an improvement, security wise, over Outlook/Outlook Express as well. There are dozens, if not hundreds, to choose from.

Another important thing to note... NEVER, and there are no exceptions to this one, NEVER click on a link in an email message. It doesn't matter from whom it came, never ever click on a link in an email message. Always highlight the URL, then copy and paste it into your web browser for further inspection. There are all kinds of little tricks you can use to make a link in an email message look like it's doing one thing when it's really doing something else. If you see "http://" anywhere in the URL text besides the very beginning, don't follow the link. It doesn't matter who appears to have sent the message. It could be faked, it could be the result of an email worm, it could have been altered en route, etc.

The following are some additional tips. Some I've already mentioned, but I just copy and paste this bit from a file I have so I don't have to type it out every time.

These are only suggestions, but the more you follow the better your odds of avoiding problems will be.

1) Avoid using Internet Explorer as much as possible
1a) Use Mozilla Firefox, Seamonkey, Safari, or Opera
2) Be sure to always install security updates for Windows
2a) One and only time it's safe to ignore #1
3) Firewalls are important
3a) XP's firewall is good enough, but feel free to use a third party one
4) Anti-Virus programs are important
4a) If you need a free AV program, try AVG Free and Avast
5) Avoid using any pirated programs
6) Avoid using any file sharing (P2P) programs
7) Avoid using Outlook or Outlook Express
7a) I would recommend Mozilla Thunderbird or web based email such as Gmail

Just remember these tips won't help you cleaning up the mess you already have, they only help prevent the problem from reoccurring. Someone will likely be along shortly, if not already, to deal with the cleaning up aspect of things. I've been following those guidelines of mine on my own system for so long now, and haven't had any problems since starting, that I've forgotten most of what I know about fixing these sorts of problems.

Collapse -
Link to Spyware/Virus Removal
by billzhills / August 30, 2007 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Couple of things
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.