Windows Vista forum

General discussion

CANNOT FORMAT HD, CANNOT STOP VISTA FROM BOOTING

I have a HP computer that came with VISTA preloaded.

I have had so many problems with it that I want to format the HD and load Vista again from scratch. Problem is Vista won't let me do that. It tells me that I don't have permission to run a format command at the command prompt level. I'm the administrator...I guess only God or Bill Gates can run a format command.

I have read on the forums here to get a program called DBAN and put it on a DVD and boot from that in order to format the HD. When I hit the "ESC" key on boot, I get the screen to change the boot order from the HD to the DVD drive, but it doesn't accept the change. I think I lock in "boot from DVD drive" but it goes on and boots from the HD anyway. No matter what I do, it doesn't change/save the change.

Does anyone have any ideas?

HP Pavilion dv6000 series
Notebook
Vista Home Premium
100 gb HD
2 gb memory
AMD Turon dual processors

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CANNOT FORMAT HD, CANNOT STOP VISTA FROM BOOTING
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CANNOT FORMAT HD, CANNOT STOP VISTA FROM BOOTING
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I bet you put DBAN on a CD...

In reply to: CANNOT FORMAT HD, CANNOT STOP VISTA FROM BOOTING

But didn't create a CD from the DBAN image. The effect would be it would never boot.

Tell us EXACTLY how you created your DBAN CD or DVD.

Bob

Collapse -
DBAN DVD

In reply to: I bet you put DBAN on a CD...

Hi Bob,

I copied the files into Vista-Downloads, from the internet site. I formated the DVD and pulled the ISP file down onto the DVD using Explorer. You are correct, I wasn't certain I had created anything--and apparently I didn't.

I actually pulled down 4 files, one is a zip file of ASA files that won't unzip, the ISO file, a BZ file (never heard of that type) and an executable that doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe that unzips the other files. I was so frustrated when I made the post that I shut down the computer and haven't been back yet.

So, what step did I miss? Fortunately I have another computer that I can use while the Vista machine isn't running properly.

Thanks...Cindy Nelson

Collapse -
pulled the ISP file down onto the DVD using Explorer.

In reply to: DBAN DVD

"pulled the ISP file down onto the DVD using Explorer. You are correct, I wasn't certain I had created anything--and apparently I didn't."

You need to create a CD from the ISO image, not put the ISO or what's inside on the CD. The distinction is a fine one and might be missed by some. Let me share a FREEBIE that can do the right thing with the ISO file.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm You'll want V3 for Vista...

Bob

Collapse -
CANNOT FORMAT HD, CANNOT STOP VISTA FROM BOOTING

In reply to: pulled the ISP file down onto the DVD using Explorer.

Bob,

The ISO recorder gets stalled at 35% and won't move any further. Any other ideas?

Thanks...Cindy

Collapse -
Try DeepBurner...

In reply to: CANNOT FORMAT HD, CANNOT STOP VISTA FROM BOOTING

The freeware edition of DeepBurner (direct download link) is small but should get the job done while avoiding the problems encountered while installing ISO Recorder. When you launch it after installation you will be given three options...choose the later, "Burn ISO Image." You'll see the long white text box with a button along the right edge signified by just "..." Click that, then browse for the ISO file you downloaded in the window that pops up. Once it's selected go Recorder->Burn ISO from the menu bar. That will extract the contents and burn the needed files to DVD, making it bootable in the process. Reboot your computer, and assuming the BIOS settings are good you'll receive the option to 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD.' Do so and follow the on-screen prompts from there.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.