Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot find server in IE

by phattdaddy / February 16, 2004 11:07 AM PST

Running WXP Home 1.3gig - 256sdram - 40gigHD
Internet connection is dialup 56kbps
Cannot connect to server in IE6. However I can connect to server using OE6 then go back out to IE quite successfully.
Error Message in IE6 is:- "No connection to internet is currently available. to view internet content that has been saved on your computer, click Work Off Line.
Click Try Again to attempt to connect."
This has occurred in the last two days no downloads or major mods in this period.
Checked all connections - appears OK
Have done restore but problem remains
Cumulative patch for IE Q323759 has been downloaded some time ago.
Any one out there with a fix please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot find server in IE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot find server in IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re no connection to the internet is currently available....
by Papa Echo / February 16, 2004 11:18 PM PST

Try:
Control Panel-Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings. Select "Automatically Detect Settings" and click on OK.

Now start Internet Explorer. It it started and has loaded your home page, close Internet Explorer. Now go back to that same auto setting and remove the check mark and click on OK.

Now see if Internet Explorer can find the connection consistently.

Collapse -
Re:Cannot find server in IE
by NonSuch / February 17, 2004 4:39 AM PST

I had the same problem yesterday, same error messages, and I also have a dial-up connection.

In my case, I had made a couple of tweaks to my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) and had inadvertently caused it to block my computer's communication with the DNS Server. (Read the Microsoft article referenced in Cursorcowboy's post).

I beat my brains out all night, 'til about 5 this morning, before I finally decided that it had to be the change in the firewall's settings that caused the problem. Fixed it, and now all seems to be working well.

Collapse -
Re:Cannot find server in IE
by phattdaddy / February 18, 2004 4:24 AM PST

Thank you all, have filed CursorCowboy's Link to MS very useful.
Had actually checked Firewall parameters as this was a known factor thanks all the same, other forum members will be able to pick up on that piece of advice.
Used the MS link to assist in troubleshooting the problem and came up with a software fault in my Conexant Modem Driver. Eventually downloaded HP Desktop Conexant Soft56K Modem Software Update (mac_u211 .exe)
So far problem appears to be OK.
Any one out there using HP PC's and has a problem with their modem, HP has a whole raft of updates available for most modems fitted to their PC's.
Thanks again every one.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!