Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cannot FDISK or anything to rid myself of Windows NT 4.0 Server

by ahw30045 / March 17, 2004 4:36 AM PST

I tried to rid myself of the Windows NT 4.0 Server/Backoffice 4.5 but cannot. Much of the software I need will not work on NT, so I am trying to install Windows ME or 98SE but am unable.

I have made a bootable disk and tried FDISK. I get the message that there is no room to create a partition. I tried deleting the partitions with no luck (couldn't find partitions). I tried Partition Magic 8.0 but it reported it couldn't run on Windows NT/2000/.NET Server.

How can I format and install a new OS? (If helpful, I do have a 2nd drive internal. I tried installing an OS on that, but couldn't within Windows.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot FDISK or anything to rid myself of Windows NT 4.0 Server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot FDISK or anything to rid myself of Windows NT 4.0 Server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get DELPART.EXE from....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2004 5:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Get DELPART.EXE from....
by ahw30045 / March 17, 2004 8:48 AM PST

I cheered when I read your reply, as this overcame a big hurtle. I am stuck again, however.

After deleting the partition, I FDISK, creating a primary partition. I then formatted the drive. When I put my boot disk (from the same webpage you suggested), I get the option of startup with CD-ROM, etc. I chose the CD-ROM support, and it goes through a sequence but then hangs up after two instances of "PCI bus scan complete". (I have to internal drives).

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Not enough detail...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2004 10:33 AM PST

With just what you've told in the post, I can't tell what hardware you have. You could have some SCSI controller and need drivers or such?

If you are installing Windows 2000, no partition or format is needed. I delete all those partitions, boot the 2000 CD and install.

A common mis-step in installing 2000/XP is old knowledge about installing DOS/Windows95/98/ME.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.