General discussion

cannot download Zone Alarm <Validation fail....

I have been working hard on the third machine I have at home. Clean up is going well...(first time in months that Scandisk and/or Defrag would actually finish).

I put spybot(238 problems fixed), AdAware(158 problems fixed), and AVG 7.0(9 problems fixed), all on this computer, and I would like to add Zone Alarm's firewall to the list of malware killers.

I tired to download straight from the site, and have saved the setup file onto the desktop, but it will not run, giving the following error message:
Validation faild for <C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\VSINIT.DLL>

I have no idea what this means.?.?.

The computer is a Pentium II, 128MB of RAM, running Windows 98 se, and a cable modem.

I have gone through the startup programs and tweak settings a lot latly, trying to get rid of the popups that plagued this system for a lot of time, and I think I have done just that. I do not understand the difference between this, and the other two computers,( I had no problem installing onto them).

Did I maybe turn somthing off? Or is it a simple thing I have missed. Point of interest... The windows update website will not allow me in at all, stating various reasons, (like browser settings must be medium or lower... etc.) of which I have tried all on the site as well as the microsoft help page attached to it.

I am lost, Please help C.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: cannot download Zone Alarm <Validation fail....
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: cannot download Zone Alarm <Validation fail....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Unless other people here
- Collapse -
Zone Alarm, Windows Update; will not work...

(Mark)-that was to be my task for today; to look for a forum on the Zone Labs website... Now I don't have to search for it, thanks.

I thought that maybe no one would know about this problem, in Cnet, but I thought I would try anyways.

I have Spybot, AVG 7.0, AdAware, and ZoneAlarm on two other machines beside me, so I do know that it is compatible, only that the settings on this computer do not allow.?.

For 6 months, my in-laws had fought with this machine just to get rid of the popups, and to try defrag and scandisk. Now I had them both running, (to compleation), yesterday. I am proud to say that I think I managed to fix this problem by simply running AdAware and Spybot untill it came out clean. That was a lot of 'nasties' that were building up a whole community in this machine(ha ha). I left this computer on (and online, [via-cable modem]) all night and there was not one pop-up there when I got up,(usually there would be at least 25 on screen-with more loading).

The ZoneAlarm issue does not bug me as much as the Microsoft Update page not loading. If I go to 'update' the page says that this computer has not accepted the certificate for the site, and that my settings are not 'low' enough to work properly. I have fixed all the settings to what they recomended, but cannot get past the opening page,(wrong settings page).

Is this cetificate that critical? If so, where do I change/erase these settings so that they can be reset?

Any help, would be much appreciated. Thanks so far. C

- Collapse -
Hi Stretch

I'm confused. In your original post you talked about problems downloading ZoneAlarm.

But now, you also mention other problems, eg Microsoft Update page not working.

So, what error messages do you get when you goto Windows Update?

You could try the options in this MS Knowledge Based article;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836987

With the ZoneAlarm problem, try deleting the contents of the temporary folder, (C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\VSINIT.DLL), reboot the computer and then try installing ZA again. Let us know what error messages you get if it fails.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info