Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cannot download update for graphics card

by magi376 / September 23, 2004 8:09 AM PDT

I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X

Direct X 9.0

Win XP with 1G of ram

I went to nVidia's site to update my drivers but no matter what location I try to download from it always tells me that it cannot download the update

I KNOW some of the newer updates are available for my card and yet everyone I figure I should get it always tells me the same thing

"Error: Couldn't connect with the host"

I use Star Downloader but even if I right click the link and try to save target I get this instead

"Internet Explorer cannot download 61.77_win2kxp_english.exe); from_acceptLicense('ftp.
No such interface supported"

So what the heck is going on? The nVidia website has no real support for me to ask them so I'm hoping someone here knows why I can't download these updates

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cannot download update for graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cannot download update for graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: cannot download update for graphics card
by Yew / September 23, 2004 8:57 AM PDT

If you have SP2 installed, look for the stupid yellow bar towards the top of the browser window. It's probably blocking the popup license agreement page, which you need to agree to before being able to download the file.

While you're at it, do yourself another favor and stop using IE. Download a copy of Mozilla/Firefox or Opera, and pretend IE doesn't exist, except when you see some news story about a new Windows patch being released (there's probably one due in a few days anyway). Even with SP2 installed, IE is still a major security risk for your system.

I should also mention, that with your video card, there's probably nothing worth updating for drivers wise. The new releases are mainly for the GeForceFX cards. So unless you're trying to play a game or something and it says it needs some specific version of the drivers, I wouldn't worry about it.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 23, 2004 9:20 AM PDT

just to remind you on your costant pushing of mozilla/ff some sites wont work with them ive seen it

Collapse -
I wouldn't know
by Yew / September 23, 2004 10:09 AM PDT

If a site doesn't work with Firefox, I go somewhere else. I like to exercize my freedom of choice in the matter.

Collapse -
Re: I wouldn't know
by Mark5019 / September 23, 2004 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't know

and thats very good but when its a site lets say for your down load you wont go elseware.

Collapse -
Re: I wouldn't know
by Yew / September 23, 2004 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I wouldn't know

Sure I will. Don't think I've come across a file yet that can't be found elsewhere.

Usually a quick search of Google for the file name turns up plenty of results, but there's also P2P networks, IRC, and others depending on how far out of the box you can think.

Collapse -
by magi376 / September 23, 2004 9:39 AM PDT

Two points

One I have tried to download the updates long before I ever got SP2...periodically I update whatever I think ought to be updated whenever I think of it...it didn't work them either but since I had no real reason to worry about it I never asked anyone here how to get the updates

Two I'm specifically trying now to get the updates because I'm planning on buying a new game(Far Cry) and from what I understand the more updated your system is the better it plays

BTW At the vNidia site the download is 13m...that has to mean I would think they've made some significant changes

I checked and there is no bar showing on my IE preventing my download...I was pretty sure there wasn't but I rechecked a moment ago so that isn't it

Besides I just don't believe that while I can download anywhere else on the net...that at the nVidia site I cannot because of my browser

If it was the browser then a million other people would have had the same problem and they'd(nVidia) would of fixed it long ago

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 23, 2004 10:56 AM PDT

The GF4 Ti4200 w/AGP8X is a fine card but not near top of the line. The AGP8X needs a 8X port in your motherboard, otherwise it performs as 4X in a 4X port motherboard.

Please keep in mind that the Ti series has been superseded by FX models (they have about 13 now) and the latest drivers are designed for FX models but should work in Ti series. Perhaps Nvidia is deliberately trying to tell you not to download the latest drivers.

What version do you presently have, perhaps that is the max for you although Nvida will not say. I don't use a 'downloader' and that could be your problem.

I know I once had problems trying to upgrade my Nvidia drivers so never tried again as from what I have learned and read, if it works and looks good with drivers you have, leave it alone.

I have a GF4 Ti4600 card with a large selection of video games including Doom3 and am still using the driver that came with the card vs 42.30. There have been 12 newer drivers put out since then.

I don't have FarCry yet, still waiting for a good sales price.

BTW DirectX is now at 9.0b and most new high tech games have it on the CD.

Have you checked with the people at CNet sponsored GameSpot forums like their GameSpot PC Hardware Discussions.

Collapse -
by magi376 / September 23, 2004 1:23 PM PDT

According to their site the card I have is one of those which is good for the updates(they have a list of cards and mine is on it for the upgrade)

I'm getting that game tomorrow no matter what but I thought being as the upgrade is a full 13 megs and as far as I have heard the ONLY fault with that game is it needs a high powered machine to run at it's best(with all the graphic features)

I do know that some games will automatically take you to whatever upgrades(and patches) you need if it detects you don't have the latest driver that it needs so maybe I can get the nVidia driver that way

Just a thought but do you need to register your graphic card? Mine came with my computer and perhaps it never got registered and that's why it won't let me update the driver

There HAS to be a simple explanation for my troubles because if it was their site then most people would be having the same problem and apparently I'm the only one

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 23, 2004 3:05 PM PDT

Is this the site you are using to download?
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77.html

Primary download site under US English is 12MB rather than 13MB.

I got through the License and then selection of download to "save" then it started downloading without any problem. I canceled as I have a dial-up and not time right now to go ahead with the complete download. I'll try tomorrow when I have time and if it doesn't work I have GoBack.

No, I have never registered my Ti4600, and bought it from NewEgg.

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 23, 2004 5:58 PM PDT

OK, your problem is the Star Downloader..disable it and download the 61.77 driver to "save". Make a note to where it is saved so you can locate it. I have my downloads going to a folder on the desktop.
See the Nvidia Driver Installation Hints here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

After download and before you install, temporarily disable your virus protection software running in the background. I also temporarily disable my ZoneAlarm firewall.
Make sure you uninstall all Nvidia display drivers in the Add/Remove of the control panel IAW the above Installation hints.

I downloaded and installed the 61.77 just now without any problems. You will see a notice that the download is not Windows Logo'd. Well my old driver wasn't Logo'd either, so went ahead and installed the new 61.77 driver.

After reboot you can look in dxdiag and see that the new driver is installed:
version 6.14.0010.6177
Date 7-15-2004
WHOL LOGO'd: N?A

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!