Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Cannot Download files with IE5.5

by Here4hlp / December 13, 2004 8:37 PM PST

I recently re-installed Win98 SE that came with IE5.00 and later installed over it IE5.5 which I had downloaded earlier on to another machine. Since then, I have not been able to download certain files from the net as I used to. For this reason, I had wanted to re-install the earlier version (IE 5.00) but do not know how to get it on the Win98 CD.

Can anyone help pls?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cannot Download files with IE5.5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cannot Download files with IE5.5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cannot Download files with IE5.5
by Kees Bakker / December 13, 2004 8:44 PM PST

It's not difficult to go back. Install of a higher version of IE saves the old information. So go into Control Panel>Add Remove, locate Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, click Add/Remove, and choose to uninstall and go back to the previous version. That's all.

But it would be better to go forward, and download the latest version of IE6. That's much safer than 5.0.

And it might still be better to download Firebird from (find a friend with a cd-burner) and use that for downloading9and possibly browsing also). It's considered a still safer browser.

Personally, by the way, I don't experience any download problems with IE5.5. My only problem with it is that it doesn't display .png-graphics (on 2 machines), what it surely should do. But I can live with that.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Here4hlp / December 13, 2004 9:22 PM PST

Thanks Kees,

I'll try the uninstall and see.

I tried to download the IE6 but found out that with an ordinary modem, it will will take me days to complete the downloading. Thus, I abandoned the idea.

Will try to download the Firebird.

The problem I have with the IE5.5 is that when I click on a Download Button for a file, it rather copies the exact image of the site page from which I click the download.

Thanks once again.

Collapse -
by TONI H / December 13, 2004 11:52 PM PST

See if you can fix IE5.5 first.......go to Internet Options/Security/Custom Level and see if there is an option there to 'download files' and if it's there, make sure it's checked off. If it's not in Security, go to Advanced, and see if it's there instead.

You might also have a registry issue that needs to be fixed......we'll get to that one later.

A second possible fix is to get to a file that you want to download, and right click it and choose Save Target As.... and see if you get the download window to appear with a file name rather than a URL address. If so, then make sure you put a check mark in the box that says 'always ask', click OK, and then choose from the dropdown arrow box where you want to save the file to (you can create a folder on your desktop named DOWNLOADS right from within that window if you need to), then click OK and the download should start.

If none of this helps, try this.....

Here's a REG file that will also re-activate the File Download dialog box. Note that modifying the Registry always carries a risk of creating software problems.

That being said, if you want to try this REG file, run Notepad and enter the following exactly as shown here, with one exception--when you see BLANK LINE GOES HERE, press Enter--don't type in BLANK LINE GOES HERE.

"EditFlags"=hex: D 8,07,00,00

NOTE: In these directions where you see =hex: D 8 DO NOT put a space between the : and D and the 8.......the html coding for this CNET site changes the combination of : and D and 8 without the space into a smiley face so I had to edit it by putting a space into it for this site's viewing for you. Those three symbols need to be placed all together without spaces.

Now, choose File, Save As. Name the new file DownLoad.reg and locate a folder for the file. Click Save to save the file and close the Save As dialog box. You can now double-click your new file's icon to merge it with the Registry.

Restart the computer and run IE. You should get your File Download dialog box again.

Note: Some users have reported that this method does not work for them while others have indicated it worked great.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?